help with Diatoms

Reaction score
gents having issues with diatom blooms.

Tank is almost 3 months old, and i am getting a lot of brown diatoms forming on the dt substrate and on the glass.

I thought my problem was high phosphate levels, which prompted me to build a phos reactor which has been running for about week now. I bought a salifert phos kit and have tested 0 phosphate today.

What else can i do to prevent the diatoms forming?

You have introduced something into your tank that has caused a mini cycle which is the cause.

Probably find your Nitrates are the problem not the PO4

my water parameters:
kH: 5
pH: 8.2
Nitrate: 2 mg/l
Nitrite: 0
Temp: 28
sg: 1.026

running three T8 lights, 2 white, 1 blue

tank volume is about 300 litres.

Added 3 small blue chromis.

Tropic marin test kits, except for phos, thats salifert

The diatoms has been a constant issue since i started, i usually just keep cleaning the glass and siphoning the substrate with every water change. It has never really dissapeared.

tank volume is about 300 litres.

Added 3 small blue chromis.

Tropic marin test kits, except for phos, thats salifert

The diatoms has been a constant issue since i started, i usually just keep cleaning the glass and siphoning the substrate with every water change. It has never really dissapeared.
3 small blue cromis arent enough to cause a cycle in a 300 liter system. IMO

Are you using NSW or are you mixing salt?If you are using NSW,where do you get and is it clean.If salt,then what type?

I wouldn't worry about it, quite normal for a new tank to have a diatom bloom or two during the first few months, even after it has finished cycling. Give it time, it will eventually go away.

Dogstar - diatoms live off silicates in the substrate/water...... once all the silicates sources have been depleted, the diatoms will start dissappearing......
Have you had diatoms before this time?

Back
Top Bottom