help with Diatoms

Reaction score
gents having issues with diatom blooms.

Tank is almost 3 months old, and i am getting a lot of brown diatoms forming on the dt substrate and on the glass.

I thought my problem was high phosphate levels, which prompted me to build a phos reactor which has been running for about week now. I bought a salifert phos kit and have tested 0 phosphate today.

What else can i do to prevent the diatoms forming?

Reaction score
You have introduced something into your tank that has caused a mini cycle which is the cause.

Probably find your Nitrates are the problem not the PO4

Reaction score
my water parameters:
kH: 5
pH: 8.2
Nitrate: 2 mg/l
Nitrite: 0
Temp: 28
sg: 1.026

running three T8 lights, 2 white, 1 blue

Reaction score
tank volume is about 300 litres.

Added 3 small blue chromis.

Tropic marin test kits, except for phos, thats salifert

The diatoms has been a constant issue since i started, i usually just keep cleaning the glass and siphoning the substrate with every water change. It has never really dissapeared.

Reaction score
tank volume is about 300 litres.

Added 3 small blue chromis.

Tropic marin test kits, except for phos, thats salifert

The diatoms has been a constant issue since i started, i usually just keep cleaning the glass and siphoning the substrate with every water change. It has never really dissapeared.
3 small blue cromis arent enough to cause a cycle in a 300 liter system. IMO

Reaction score
Are you using NSW or are you mixing salt?If you are using NSW,where do you get and is it clean.If salt,then what type?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it, quite normal for a new tank to have a diatom bloom or two during the first few months, even after it has finished cycling. Give it time, it will eventually go away.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Dogstar - diatoms live off silicates in the substrate/water...... once all the silicates sources have been depleted, the diatoms will start dissappearing......
Have you had diatoms before this time?