Help with detritus on the base of the sump

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dikdaan, 7 Aug 2010.

1. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Help with detris on the base of the sump
    Hi all

I have been doing some reading today on various stuff of the sump...Then I went and had a look at everything in my sump and I saw that in the one corner there is a rather big pile up of detris (looks like rock thats broken down to a fine sandbase...) How can I remove this from the sump? Can I add a filter like the ones used for freshwater until all the stuff is out and then remove the filter again?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Not sure i understand exactly where the detritus is but the best way is to siphon it out. This is if the detritus is not on top of the DSB substrate. If it is on top of the DSB substrate gently disturb the water so that the detritus gos into the water column. Yes you can add one of those filter mat filters to polish the water. It will clog very quickly though and will have to be maintained daily.

4. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

The detritus is underneath the skimmer... no detritus on the DSB...

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I would just siphon it out at the next water change. But if it bugs you siphon it out through a bit of filter mat and then just poor the water back.

6. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Thx al ot, will do so. Why do you think there is a build up of the detritus?

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Skimmers and filters do not catch all DOC. I have yet to see a system that does not have detritus build up. The trick is to try and filter it out by keeping it in suspension in the water column and allowing the skimmer and filter mat to do the job.
    The siphon removal of detritus is something one needs to add to the maintenance regime.

8. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Ok, cool! So all I really need to do is increase the flow in the chamber where the build up is, right? But I need to first syphon out the current build up...

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I would not bother too much about increasing the flow in the skimmer chamber. Just siphon it out regularly or flap your hand in the compartment every now and again to stir it up. That is what I do on my tanks. It is when detritus builds up on top of the DSB and substrate that circulation need to be addressed.

10. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Thank you very much as i am now more at ease :)
    Thought that i need to do some changes to the tank...Its only been running since september 2009...

Recent Posts