Help with Deltec AP701 Skimmer

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by KevinR, 4 Mar 2009.

1. KevinR

KevinR

Hi there, Does anyone have some advice for a noob trying to set up a deltec ap701 skimmer. I cannot seem to get the air intake set at the right height. Either it lets too much air in and the skimmer cup overflows or it does not let in enough and nothing gets skimmed. The tank is new. Been running since 29 Feb and has 20kgs of liverock. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and what is the recommended power of the water intake pump? I have a 1000lph on it now. When I tried my 1900lph it just overflowed the skimmer as if there was just too much power. Thanks :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

The best would be to use a pump slightly overrated for the skimmer and attach a gate valve which you can open and close to adjust the height up the riser tube. Alternatively you can put a gate valve on the outlet and close it slightly. Make sure the venturi valve is fully open so that the maximum amount of bubbles are formed

4. KevinR

KevinR Thread Starter

Excellent thanks Tony. I actually have a gate valve on the outlet so I will play with that and open the venturi valve fully. I was playing with the venturi and left the gate valve fully open. I will try your advise tonight.

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

OK, let's see...

1. Adjust the outlet valve until the water level inside the skimmer just reaches the joint between the skimmer body and cup.

2. Open the air valves about 90% (i.e. to about 1:00 on the clock).

3. Let the skimmer run for a few hours, and adjust the outlet valve either more open or closed, depending on the amount of skimmate produced.

General rule - adjust the water level in the skimmer body, as described above, and NOT the air inlet - that should always be between 90% and 100% open.

Good luck.

Hennie

Recent Posts