help with dark brown algae pls

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by roderigo, 7 Sep 2011.

1. roderigo

roderigo

Some info tank has been cycling for about 12 days now and about 4 days ago I started getting brown algae on my sump glass where there light is close to the cheato I know this is normal during the cycle but just want some tips so I don't let it over run my tank I've got none in my DT cuz I'm cycling with the lights off only put it on to see how the tank is doing max 1h a day . Took an old sock of mine and cleaned off the brown slimy algae on the glass but there is still a bit on the sand witch I left alone .
    Only keep a sump light on from 6am to 9pm for the cheato .
    1 what tips can you guys give me?
    2 should I leave my dt light off for now?
    3should I clean the glass when I see the algae or just leave it be ?

This is all I can think of for now

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Only 12 days into the cycle, the brown slimy stuff is most likely diatoms. Just wait it out and it will go away. You can wipe it off the glass. Keep dt lights off for now. ONyl other advise you need - just be patient.

viper357, Keanan and roderigo like this.
  4. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Ok 459b will do thanx for the help

5. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

what top up water are you using? patience is the key at this point of the game.

6. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

I'm using RO water witch I buy from the LPShop

7. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

The main thing is I don't want it to over run my tank at this point it is manageable and I would like to do my best to keep it that way

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

There are many stages a tank goes through when it cycles and Diatoms are just one of them. Chances are you will get other types of algae, as most of us do. You just have to manage them as best you can. It will take a few months for the system to settle, patience is your friend here.

Reef Maniac, viper357 and Keanan like this.
  9. Tremayn

Tremayn

Its a good sign that you have diatoms :) .. things are coming along well

10. Achilles

Achilles

algae goes through succession phases(usually diatom-hair algae-coralline)and and then it dominates by the conditions in the tank , you want to favor coralline algae eventually as it likes the same conditions as corals do ie. low nitrates and phosphates

Last edited: 7 Sep 2011
  11. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Does the cheato take up the same things that the algae does ??

12. Seabass

Seabass

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  13. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

14. Alan

Definitely, and IMHO is one of the ways to combat nuisance algae.

15. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

I was hoping so thanx Alan

16. Seabass

Seabass

Hey Rodrego hope you don't mind me asking Alan a question in your thread, my po4 is 0,09ppm and nitrates are 15, will I be able to bring my nitrates down with Cheato? Or do i stick to large water changes to bring nitrates down or run some other form of filter media to sort out nitrates. The reason I ask is that I have read that once one of the two are low a person will struggle to bring the other down due to the other being low, something to do with a ratio.

Also is it vital to run a light for Cheato? Mine is starting to die, but I don't run lights at all in my sump.

And will it die off as "nutrient" levels start to drop or will it thrive due to the light supplying it with a means to grow.

17. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

No prob bro @Alan ??? Anyway just can't stand algae at all so I just cleaned up the rock in my tank with a tooth brush but I see the is a lot of stuff that settled on all the rocks like a heavy dust not sand what could this be ??

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. Seabass

Seabass

Probably what is referred to as detritus: In recent years, the word detritus has also come to be used in relation to aquariums (the word "aquarium" is a general term for any installation for keeping aquatic animals).

When animals such as fish are kept in an aquarium, substances such as excreta, mucus and dead skin cast off during moulting are produced by the animals and, naturally, generate detritus, and are continually broken down by micro-organisms.

Modern sealife aquariums often use the Berlin Method, which employs a piece of equipment called a protein skimmer, which produces air bubbles which the detritus adheres to, and forces it outside the tank before it decomposes, and also a highly porous type of natural rock called live rock where many bentos and bacteria live (hermatype which has been dead for some time is often used), which causes the detritus-feeding bentos and micro-organisms to undergo a detritus cycle. The Monaco system, where an anaerobic layer is created in the tank, to denitrify the organic compounds in the tank, and also the other nitrogen compounds, so that the decomposition process continues until the stage where water, carbon dioxide and nitrogen are produced, has also been implemented.

Initially, the filtration systems in water tanks often worked as the name suggests, using a physical filter to remove foreign substances in the water. Following this, the standard method for maintaining the water quality was to convert ammonium or nitrates in excreta, which have a high degree of neurotoxicity, but the combination of detritus feeders, detritus and micro-organisms has now brought aquarium technology to a still higher level. (Wikipedia)

Detritus Removal - The Reef Tank

19. Alan

Hi Seabass, both your No3 and Po4 are slightly high, nothing to drastic though. Cheato is a seaweed (plant) and as such needs light to photosynthesise, just like any other plant. Again like other plants it needs nutrient in order to grow, the nutrient it uses is nitrogen in the form of nitrate and also needs phosphate. So yes it does reduce nitrates and phosphates in the system. To remove these nutrients from your system totally you simple harvest the cheato. Cheato also provides an intricate web where plenty micro and macro organisms live and thrive, in my cheato there are literally thousands of tiny shrimp type organisms when these things lay eggs, plenty of them will get through to the main system and act as plankton to feed the corals.

20. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Wow thanx bud have a much better understanding of this now thanx to you

Recent Posts