help with cycle pls

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by roderigo, 28 Aug 2011.

1. roderigo

roderigo

Got a 240 lt DT and 100 sump with dsb and some cheato tank is running for about 18h but no ammonia present on test kit so I put the light off so the cheato does not remove anything and added a peace of frozen crabs stick is this ok to do ??? Oops forgot to add 10 kg of fully cured LR in dt

Last edited: 28 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

hi roderigo:)

if i understand you correctly the tanks been running 18 hours and you have added some frozen crab stick to a tank that has 10 kg of cured LR to it but you are concerned that there is no sign on ammonia from your test kits?

18 hours is too soon for things to show, but testing we are effectivly trying to measure the effect of microscopic life (bacteria is different groups) have in converting Nitrogen through its cycles within a tank. thus this takes time as biological process dont happen in a matter of hours but more like weeks.

also personally i wouldnt use a crab stick to increase the biological load of the tank. I would leave the populations of bacteria to recover from the move over yto your tank in their own time, let them consume any die off and let the populations reach equilibrium of population is relationship to the amount of nitrogen in the tank and after a while (i cycle for weeks and leave everything be) and then increase bioload very slowly by adding some life to the tank.

by adding crab stick, or frozen prawns etc i feel that you run the risk of over loading the bacterial populations and cause spikes in ammonia or nitrites which actually sets ones tank back a while.

also id add a little more LR to that tank, around double so that you have approx 20-25kg of good LR for a tank of 240l :)

4. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Ok I see now ill take the crab stick out just put it in this morning I got some man made live rock in the dt to want to seed it, will be adding may be extra 10 kg as I go along should I use the cheato at this stage coz won't it take all the bacteria food

5. crispin

crispin

leave the chaeto in, just make sure its got good light (preferably on a reverse light cycle to the main tank), its will do no harm just good :)

6. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome bud..... Now its the phase where you look at nothing and get exited about everything.... Make sure you dont get too eager to light up the place and be patient... It will al come together in time...:thumbup:

7. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Thanx man had a rocky start but is up and going strong

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Agree with Crispin here. Patience, you cannot rush mother nature.

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Do yourself a favour and read the link in my signature on starting a marine tank - lot of info on cycling a tank ;)

10. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Hi alen read your link but still confused about a few things will the cheato eat the food of the LR bacteria and how much prawn should I add dt is 200lt and sump 100 of water ?

11. FrancoisJou

FrancoisJou

When I let my tank cycle all I actually did was leave the live rock be for two weeks. My Water Parameters were then still acceptable. I added two damsels to the tank and added some Seachem Stability and Prime once a week. Did Biweekly water Changes.

Only in the ffirst week after aadding the fish did my water params reach a high of 30 (for nitrates), but my nitrite and ammonia wasn't really a factor. At that point I did a water change and added some stability.

12. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Roderigo, and WELCOME to MASA and to this great hobby.

I realise that you are quite excited about the new tank, but you should really take a few deep breaths and slow down to a fast gallop :biggrin: Remember, you are trying to re-create what has taken Nature millions of yours to do, so you should really be able to afford to spend a few months trying to do it right :)

One medium to large food prawn, or 2-3 shrimps, should be plenty. Leave the prawn/shrimp in the tank until it really stinks - I would say at least a week. If you can, leave it in there until it has completely disintegrated and decomposed (perhaps 3-4 weeks). It would help to keep the "frot" pieces together if you place the prawn inside a leg cut off from a ladies pantihose.

After the first week or so, check for ammonia and nitrite, and after two weeks, start testing for nitrates as well.

Yes, some of it - but that is good, as the chaeto will then grow larger, and will be ready to help in filtration once you add your first fish (in about 2-3 months time).

That is not good - the cheato will die if it does not get enough light. As Chrispin suggested, preferably keep the lights in the sump on a reverse light cycle.

Now, sit back, relax, take a beer (or two...) and watch your live rock grow :biggrin:

Hennie

Last edited: 29 Aug 2011
    Alan likes this.
  13. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Ok thanx Reef Maniac I am planing on taking it slow just want to do it rite will follow your advice but I think ill leave the Dt light off for now and run cheato 12hr a day and thanx to everyone else that helped out to thank you

Recent Posts