Urgent help needed Help with clowns

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by nepellew, 20 Mar 2011.

1. nepellew

nepellew

Hiu guys i have just introduced my 2 clowns into my tank that has just cycled took a water sample to the lf and they said all my reeding are good only my Magnesium was low and needed to add a buffer so the gave me a MAxi-buff pure reef kh buffer so as i came home i put 2ml in the tank as he said and left it for a hour and then dripped my two clowns for half an hour now they are in the tank one is great looks normal but the other is swimming around with his gills open and mouth opens and closes quiet fast he does have some white stuff around his lips but is this all normal or should i worry the other one is normal breathing normal and gills are closed so the real question is should i worry or is it just the stress they are going through from the petshop thanks guys:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

In my opinion dripping for half an hour is too little.
    I drip for about 2 hours with a airstone in the water.

Also use some Stress Guard, works wonders!

Hope someone can help you more with the symptoms!

4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

You won't fix a low magnesium level by adding a buffer - the buffer will only increase your alkalinity (hardness). You could achieve the same effect by just adding some bicarbonate of soda (bought from a chemist, or a Pick & Pay) dissolved into some RO water - at only a fraction of the cost of the stuff the shop sold you.

For more info on this, and on adding magnesium, check out the following links:

Chemical equivalents - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Magnesium confusion - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

2ml should not have a large effect on your tank, so although it's never a good idea to change your water chemistry just before adding livestock, I doubt if this caused any problems.

This is not good - it could just be stress, but it could also be a sign that he is not getting enough oxygen - either due to the tank water temperature being too high, toxins, or (more likely) an injury or disease. It could, of course, also just be stress related.

This is not normal - I would suspect that the fish was injured earlier (perhaps in transport to the shop), and the white stuff is a fungal growth on his mouth and perhaps on his gills.

You don't have much options at this stage, so I would just leave the tank alone, with the lights off, until morning - then if the fish still looks stressed/ill, I would suggest that you take it back to the shop and exchange it for a healthy one, if possible.

Good luck.

Hennie

5. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Icornelius, I also like stress guard when adding new fish my only issue was that 30min after adding it my one Cleaner shrimp colapsed on hes back and died.. wonder if the protein coat stress guard provides is safe for shrimps?

6. brandonb

brandonb

The part by the mouth might also be injury from fighting other clownfish for dominance, I had this when I got two clownfish of the same size few years back.

Did he have the white stuff at the shop ?

Brandon

7. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Thanks again guys Reef Maniac will have a look see what he looks like in the morn and yes he did come like that from the petshop but its not like the other clown is gasping for air cos i mean both of them would do that i would think but thanks im going into the petshop tommorow and will get some anti stress stuff im sure its just from the stress and thanks brandonb i think they were fighting cos there were like 9 or 10 of them in a tank but he was a bigger one haha but like i said will see how my fella is doing tommorw but thanks again guys

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Where were the clowns for this hour while you were waiting?

Bud, please use full sentences when typing (comma's, full stops etc.). It makes your posts incredibly hard to read.

9. Dane

Dane

[​IMG]

I'm with viper on this one! Hee hee heeee ;-) All in jest!
    I might just change my avatar to this... I think its proof I'm getting old.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2011
  10. brandonb

brandonb

Also try and keep the light off as it will relax them a bit more (if possible)

Good luck

Brandon

11. Dane

Dane

To add something constructive. I've only heard good things about Microbelift Herbtana. Perhaps worth a shot?

Recent Posts