help with cabinet

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by 4age, 19 May 2016.

1. 4age

4age

so im busy planning the cabinet for my new tank..had a carpenter come around last night and discussed some ideas.

Wanted to know what the most suitable and durable wood would be to use. Also, is it better to have the wood wrapped or sprayed? looking for the gloss white finish, but want something that will be durable and last..hate seeing aquarium cabinets that start swelling up after some time

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

If you can afford it, go with 2k spray paint. Will get a nice effect but very expensive. If you got limited budget will go with laminated super-wood

HOT SAUCE likes this.
  4. 4age

4age Thread Starter

what difference in pricing will I be looking at..50% more? want a neat clean look for the cabinet

5. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

If you look at Aero Eng build you can see the effort it takes to do a 2k job if you up for it.

An easier alternative is to get the superwood double wrapped. Basically they wrap both sides of the board it will double the cost of the wrapping though but offers a bit more resistance to moisture.

A 5mm gap between the cabinet and the floor can also help prevent the board come into contact with minor spills which gets trapped here and as the board is like a sponge it ultimately gets sucked up.

Not sure if you going rimless but for the top of my cabinet I used 20mm perspex.

20160118_163552.jpg

6. zippy

zippy

what may be cheaper is run down to your local Panel beater shop and ask them what they would charge to do up your cabinet, 3-4 coats of paint and a good 3-4 coats of glass would make it look magic, also this will remain water-tight until chipped.

Also do a bit of research into how to treat wood before it is painted.

Hammerhead likes this.
  7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i sell automotive paint for living... 1L of 2k white paint should cost you less than R200.00 in SA (I sell it for 180 in Swaziland) for PLASCON... most important thing is to use wood primer first to ensure the paint sticks to the wood proper.. best way to go IMO

Recent Posts