Help with Boyu Protein Skimmer WG-308

Reaction score
Hi

Yes, I know i need to get a better skimmer, and are ordering one (Tunes or Hydor, whatever fits), but would like to get some stuff out of the tank until it arrives.

The skimmer produce yellow water in the cup, but I believe that it is from water splashing trough the foam and then falling into the cup.

I can't get it to produce a stable skimate that moves up the neck. Been running for a month now.

I have a 128l tank, started with Prodibio STOP AMMO and Biodigest, have very well cured rock (9kg), very clean sand (5cm) and very few, very small gobies in the tank, 3 small corals. Very big flow.

I run Purigen and Chemi Pure elite.

Tank Parameters is Ammoniac 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate just detectable.

I know this is a small bio load but I have been feeding so expect some skimmate to form?

I get a lot of bubbles, foam form in the neck and I have mange to move the foam level up and down. The foam however is crisp white and does not build up. Just stay on top of the water-level, about 5mm thick.

Can someone help me with the controls I have and what they do. So far I have figured out that I can move the skimmer up and down in the water (does not seam to effect much, some change in water level), I can regulate the flow (move water level up and down), and I can mange bubble production.

What do I change to have what impact? (PS, I know how to flood the cup)

304e303427369e5.jpg

304e303442a5ded.jpg

304e303457cfd8d.jpg

Hey Len,

Does your skimmer have a snorkel? This should be out of the water? It looks like you are not getting enough air? There should be a tube like snorkel coming up the side of the skimmer.. make sure this is sucking air above the surface of the water.

Snorkel : check

Hi

Yip, it has one and it is well above the water.

Assuming it is the black thingie on the right. If I adjust it I get more/less and bigger/smaller bubbles.

The outlet is under water (can not put the skimmer higher) and if I adjust the flow rate, the water-level in the next goes up and down.

304e3054e93c40b.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom