Help with Blue tang signs of ick

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by fifo, 2 Dec 2007.

1. fifo

fifo

:( I got a call from a friend yesterday saying that he had another friend that was giving away a blue tang and a sailfin tang. Immediately I said I would take them. About an hour or two later he arrives at my house with both fish in a bucket. Both were breathing heavy and the blue tang was already lying on its side. I immediately started to acclimate them in the bucket and after about an hour and a half later put them in my tank. I don't have a quarantine tank set up so I had no choice. I have a 92 gallon corner tank with a couple of corals here and there and all I had was two small percula clowns a cleaner shrimp and a spotted gobi. This morning both the sailfin and blue tang I put in both about 4.5 inches long were doing much better than last night. They were swimming around and not crashing against rocks anymore. I just came from giving them some brine shrimp, blood worms and mysis shrimp but I noticed beginning signs of ick on the blue tang. My parameters are all ok except for my temperature which is at about 81 degrees, I know its a bit high but it is not fluctuating it is pretty constant. I am not sure what is causing the ick is it just the stress from introducing him into the tank? What should I do? I heard algae was good for them. I had some in there this morning and its all gone so I am sure they took care of it but I heard its not that good to feed them algae that often maybe 3 times a week is good. I have never cared for fish this large I am guessing it will be stronger and maybe getting some garlic extreme and soaking the food in it might help but I am not sure.

Any suggestions?

I am going out of town tomorrow and I will only have a couple of hours that I can actually treat him.

I could turn off one of my pumps to reduce the heat if heat is the case.

Here is a pic of the two new guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Dec 2007
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

the fish are probably just stressed out.the main thing is to get them to feed.try nori paper and also bananas they work quite well.also try soaking your food in garlic before feeding.if all of this doesnt work.then try a FW dip

4. fifo

fifo Thread Starter

Do you think the temperature is too high or is that ok?
    I have been giving them the paper thin algae stuff I am not sure if thats the same as Nori. They are eating fine. I have never had fish this large and am not sure how much I should feed I typically feed them then make sure they eat for about two minutes and stop. I only feed at night also is that ok for these guys?

5. Mekaeel

feed them atleat three times a day.just make sure they are eating and monitor them.and yes that algae sheet is nori.you temperature is 27 degrees celcius which is fine,dont worry about that

6. fifo

fifo Thread Starter

great I will do that and see how it goes. Im going to get some of the garlic Extreme tomorrow and some more Nori hopefully that helps. Thanks for everything...

7. Mekaeel

i had whitespot issues with my regal tang which lasted for around 1.5 months.all i did was just fed him often,and now he's the healthiest and fattest of all my tangs in the system

8. fifo

fifo Thread Starter

Thats good to hear gives me hope. He does look strong and is eating well so that gives me hope. Thanks again!

9. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Yip if he eats well you should be ok. Use fresh garlic, not the crushed stuff you buy.
    Fish are a lot more tolerant temp variation than corals, but 27 is fine.

Good luck

10. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

These regal tangs are very prone to ws and get it every so often, so dont stress too much about it, just keep them fed and they seem to fight the ailment off by themselves.

11. fifo

fifo Thread Starter

I didn't notice it but my wife says he was swimming erratically last night. That doesn't sound too good to me. Do you mean I should feed them real garlic? like peel it then food process it or something and m9ix it with the regular food? Would that be better than the garlic extreme drops?

Also I am not sure if this is good practice. When I make them food I have a little canister I put some brine shrimp, a cube of mysis shrimp, a cube of blood worms, some cyclopeze and I keep it in the refrigerator for about a week. Is it possible that this could go bad during this time? Should I actually keep it all frozen, and thaw it out just before I put it in the tank?

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

please remember the tangs main diet is algae and you should be feeding them the roasted sea weed on a daily basis. For the 2 tangs you have i would put half a sheet on a clip every morning and let them eat it during the entire day.
    Erratic behavior may be caused by a slight increase in ammonia or nitrite, check these parameters.

13. fifo

fifo Thread Starter

I got some Kent garlic extreme today and I put two drops on the brine shrimp like the instructions said. I have been looking at the tangs for a while and it seems like the blue tang is no worse than he was yesterday which looks to me like a good sign. I gave them some sea weed earlier today and a little more a couple of minutes ago. I will just do half a sheet in the mornings from now since it lasts a while. The blue tang is swimming normally except he twitches like something is bothering him. That is probably what my wife was talking about. I am going to check all my parameters now to check and make sure all is well.

14. nakoma

nakoma

fix your SG to 1010 for a while or make your tank warmer raise the temp to 30 or so then bring it down slowly to normal white spot goes away by itself most of the time i find if you fiddle with the fish you stress it out more making it worse well that is what i have learned hope it helps i have never lost a fish through white spot and i have kept fish since 1980 garlick works well to if you really want to use something if you fix the sg to 1010 the fish will stress less i like to keep my tank at a standard of 1020 because i have hade problems with white spot and i found keeping the tank at 1020 as a standard my fish has not hade any white spot in years and my corals seems to be more healthy the longest i have kept the tank at 1010 was 4 months and nothing died but i whould say dont keep it at 1010 as a standard ok well hope you can use it

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nakoma...dude....how's to gooi some full stops in your posts, please :D It makes your posts very difficult for others to understand, especially if you are offering advice. Cool :thumbup:

Did you have any corals in your tank whilst the salinity was at 1.010?

16. IMarine

IMarine

HI white spot never goes away it is free swimming you can allso try marine vital dna(marc weiss) helps a lot, keep your kh to 9-10 and use a uv light for about 8 hours a day it wil allso help good luck .

17. calvin

calvin

I feel when the tang settles the spots will subside! my one has had for over a month and only now they are disapearing

18. nakoma

nakoma

LOL ok i type fast and do it as i am thinking , so yes i did have corals in and they get bigger when you have your salanity at 1018 the corals open nice and big and the little tenticals that never comes out comes out, i dont think i need any full stops here :whistling:

19. calvin

calvin

iv never herd od of corals thriving at that salinity! any further info on this nakoma?

20. nakoma

nakoma

at 1018 yes they love it so go ahead try it you will see but dont try 1010 unless your fish has white spot

21. fifo

fifo Thread Starter

I have my SG at 1023 thats usually what is recommended around here by the LFS. By the way thanks for all the help. I just got back from my trip and both tangs are looking better. I was afraid I would arrive and find one floating but was releived when I came in and found them happy. The lights are off now and wont turn on for a litle while but I cant see any spots on the tang yet which is a good sign. Anyways I will keep you all updated.

Recent Posts