Help with artificial rock

Reaction score
hi guys, i have been runninig a 2m tank for about 3months now, got cured water so i could start then and there. sitting with a problem-LR for a 2m at R120p/kg could get VERY exp, when speaking about artificial rock wot type is allowed and where to purchase? please assist thanks

Buy it from LFS, called bio-rock, works pretty well to make up volume of the reef

hi warr is bio rock the same as base rock

Depends what it's made of. You want a porous rock, to allow bacteria to grow deep inside the rock.

Granite won't do it. Sandstone will be good. Coral skeletons even better.

Why not making your own using crushed coral and portland cement? You add some coarse salt before moulding it to make it more porous. You could make a lot quite cheap!

Gershwin - to DIY your own rock:
- white cement
- aragonite
- rough sea salt
Mix these in equal quantities, and mix with very little water, that you have a dry'ish cement mix.... it must be much more like clay...

I don't use salt in the making of my rock.

103948b51452b64d6.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic was taken with my phone

so ur method is it by putting something inside the rock or just the way you let it set?

maybe so it doesent affect water parameters

I would understand washing and rinsing but curing is normally associated with cycling your rock's dead organisms and basically making sure you don't have an algae bloom or ammonia spike

Back
Top Bottom