Help : which way is up

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Fishfood, 22 May 2009.

1. Fishfood

Fishfood

Helping my friend today put anemone in his tank.
    For the life of us this thing is really big and we don't know how to place it on the rock or even which side is up?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fishfood

Fishfood Thread Starter

No worries we came right - had someone more experienced here to help us. Thanks

4. Anemone

Anemone

If I am understanding this correctly, your friend shouldn't be keeping an anemone.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Ditto to what you said, Anemone:

FishFood - PLEASE post some more information on "your friend's: experience with marines, as well as the tank itself? ie. lighting? filtration? water volume?

6. Fishfood

Fishfood Thread Starter

Why?
    Because he didn't know how to place it?
    He has a nice setup and his corals are doing really well and he had someone helping him out today so it is going to do well.
    He has quite a lot of experience so give him a break.
    I asked him to join the site already

7. Fishfood

Fishfood Thread Starter

I don't know exactly but it is about 1,5 meters with a sump. I know that he has metal halides and T5's. I think his skimmer is a TS something not sure.
    Gave me a nice piece of live rock today :). He can give you more details I'm sure when he joins.

8. jacquesb

Cool FishFood! Sounds like he has a good setup. BUT, we will HAVE to see pictures of the tank, and get the EXACT water parameters, before we can make a decent diagnosis....

9. Anemone

Anemone

What concerned me was the statement made about not knowing what side was up.

10. seank

seank

Well, with the original statement you made, you did not really give your friend a break:p

11. Fishfood

Fishfood Thread Starter

Sorry been reading up on them and see just how difficult they are to keep healthy. I have done my part by advising him to use the site and hope that he does. Kind of happy I saw it though - was going to be my ultimate goal but feeling that I will rather try something easier. I have also read that it makes clownfish more aggressive so this is another thing to consider

Reef Maniac likes this.
  12. seank

seank

Good on you :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    If only everyone's attitude is like yours:)

13. Anemone

Anemone

Here is the problem. You post that you don’t know what end is up. This tells me (correct me if I’m wrong) that you don’t know what end is the foot and what end is the mouth. This was quite alarming and I was unsure if I understood this correctly.

You then tell us that your friend didn’t know where to place it. Later you post some basic information about your friend’s tank. After that you tell us that you have been reading up on them, and have decided to try something easier. This is conflicting information if you “don’t know what end is up.” It basically tells me that neither you nor your friend has ever seen an anemone in captivity.

So far what I’m getting is that neither of you should be keeping nor instructing any one where to place, or care for an anemone.

It does not sound like your friend has done ANY research on this animal. It also does not sound like you should be advising him.

Sorry, this may sound blunt, but you are not giving me or anyone else anything to go on. These are live animals that can live hundreds of years and if we are going to remove them from their natural habitat it is our responsibility to take the best of care with them, there are no exceptions here.

14. Jaak

Jaak

Great advice Anemone!!

15. Fishfood

Fishfood Thread Starter

Anemone - I don't have an anemone my friend has it so I can't prevent him from doing what he likes.
    He has kept a reef tank for a good while so I assumed he knew what he was doing and could show me a thing or two.
    I don't have the experience and when I saw he was battling a bit i posted to get some help. In fairness when it was put in the tank the tentacles were spread out so that you couldn't see the foot or mouth. Fearing the worst as I know how fragile they are I put up this post. Maybe I should have had more faith that he would prevail but my concern was for the animal.
    I don't know how much research he did but I assure you I will do mine before I even think of getting one.
    When I had finished he had already managed to place the animal on its foot in the tank so I probably shouldn't have assumed he was as clueless as me.
    To be safe I then asked to call someone I knew with more experience than the both of us. He came round, checked on the health of the anemone and gave some advice.
    He was impressed with the setup and said that we had acclimitised it properly.
    Please Anemone do no fight with me , I was just an innocent bystander there to have a look cos it is something that I have possibly thought about getting in the future.
    I am optimistic that it will do well but as I say it is not in my tank and is beyond my control now. If I visit him in future and see that it is battling in any way I will do my duty to encourage him to give it to someone who's care it would be better off in. I have also done my duty by encouraging him to join the site.
    I have been very patient in my own tank and have not rushed anything so far and I don't want to start now. I have also posted details about my own tank and sought advice every step of the way.
    If and when I do decide to get an anemone for myself (before which I would have to upgrade my lighting, do loads more research,decide which species on keeping and whether it would be compatible with everything else in my tank and wait for my tank to mature completely) I will let you know and seek your advice - I promise.
    In the meantime if you would like to visit my thread I will supply you with anything you wish to know about my own tank and perhaps you could share some of your valuable knowledge with me.

16. Fishfood

Fishfood Thread Starter

Lastly I was at no point advising him on anything besides:
    a)getting someone experienced to help.
    Even if he thinks he knows everything - you can always learn something from other peoples experience
    b)joining the site for support
    c)giving it to someone with a proven record should he at any point feel that he is unable to care for it properly.

I don't know enough on the subject yet which is why I don't keep one.
    Also at no point did I encourage him to get an anemone.
    I was simply phoned and asked if I would like to come round and have a look.

17. jacquesb

No problems, FishFood.....

No-one's judging you. So, learn from this experience, and move on! ;) :thumbup:

18. Anemone

Anemone

I'm not here to fight fishfood, only here to help. In doing so I need to point out potential problems and can only do so with the information that is provided to me.

19. Fishfood

Fishfood Thread Starter

I know Anemone. It's just difficult to give specs on a setup that's not yours. Likewise it is difficult to determine how much research somebody else has done.
    I feel the same respect towards these animals as you and I assure you that I will do things the right way if I ever get one.
    At the same time I don't want to slam him. For all I know he could do very well.
    I don't think I can pass judgement on him at this point.
    You did make the assumption, however that I was going round advising people on keeping anemones which is untrue.
    It is possible for newbies to have patience and a respect for animals too.

20. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

That's a very positive attitude, Fishfood. I think you did well by advising your friend to join us, and I'm sure that nobody is pointing fingers at you :thumbup:

Hennie

21. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Fishfood i think you did well to tell your frend to join the Forum

But Anemone is not judging you, she is just giving you constructive advice mate

Recent Posts