Help! What powerheads?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by dogstar, 23 Jul 2009.

1. dogstar

dogstar

Hi Guys,

My tank is 1mx0.5mx0.5m.

I want to add another powerhead or replace the current ones (currently i have 1 x Seio M820 3200lph and 1 x smaller seio, not sure of the size).

Seeing as how cheap the sunsuns are I am looking at getting these.

Reason for upgrading I am having algae issues, and i see a lot of detritus build up in the DT sand and in the rocks. I am hoping the increase flow will assist in removing this.

What size pumps should i get? Should i get the 5000lph sunsun? or the 3000lph?

I have a few softies, I also want to make sure i dont give them a hard time.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I would get two of the 3000lph and have them face one another at opposite ends along the lenght of the tank. I would then get two ore mof the 3000lph ones and attach to the back of the glass about 20cm in from each end of the tank and face them inwards. Play around wiht the directionality to see how it bests suites your tank

4. Jaak

Jaak

I like Tony's idea...

5. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

ah so stay away from the big 5000lph and get more 3000lph's Sounds good.

Not sure what you meant by point them inwards?? Do you mean point them towards the front centre of the tank?

6. Noodles

Noodles

I've got a 1.2mx500x650 tank and i have 2x 5000l/h at the back facing each other one slightly higher than the other, then i got the 6000l/h in front which i'm upgrading to the 12000l/h which has been orded and i cant wait to get it :)
    Great pumps cant go wrong....
    let us know what you've done...

7. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

Hmm, quite a bit of flow there. Do you have any softies? How they coping with the flow?

See i thought i should get the 5000lph, but i just worry about the softies.

8. Noodles

Noodles

I do have lots of softies and the flow is strong the 5000l/h are great but i can not direct the flow but with the 6000l/h you get these things that you can clip on to the front and direct the flow which helps big time.
    You know i had this power head which is a 2000l/h pump and its was hectic in my tank and when i moved over to the sun sun pumps i thought that the 5000l/h and 6000l/h were going to be a over kill but they are fantastic, the flow is a lot more spread out, not kind of stuck in one spot.

9. Tony

Tony

Exactamundo:)

10. keyaam

keyaam

vortech MP20:thumbup:

11. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

For sure, if you sponsoring hehe;)

12. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

So the pump issue sorted...

13. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

Just got two SunSun's (3000lph) yesterday, haven't set them up. Still thinking about how I am going to place them.
    Might follow Tonys suggestion and put them at either end of the tank, facing each other. Will have to decide how to use my Seio M820 and M620, i really need to get detritus out of my rocks to help combat the algae i have growing in the tank.

Any suggestions are welcomed

14. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

dogstar...awesome...the way Tony told you is excellent...

15. Pugsly

Pugsly

I had the same problem with GHA - then I added 4x sunsun 12000lph in my 2m tank. two place opposite each other facing each other and then two about 500 in off the side of the tank on the back pane a little lower, pointing towards the middle of the front pane. Works like a charm. They are great pumps.

Another thing to look out for is check your PO4!!!! I bet with algea in the tank it read 0ppm. Thats because the algea is holding it all in - What I did to solve my problems was as follows and my GHA is nearly gone!
    1. Added the sun sun powerheads
    2. Added an additional sump to add my DSB into.
    3. Started to replace my crushed coral in my DT with play sand (crushed coral catches debrits)
    4. Once a week I take a spare powerhead I have and blow off all my rock - you will be surprised at how much still gets cought up - that alone has helped big time - it gets the carp floating and taken through to the filters!
    5. I placed phos remover in the the sump inlet chamber.
    6. I added algea thingy to the sump with a light that comes on opposite to the DT eg DT lights on - sump light off - DT lights off - sump light on.
    7. Also started buying RO water and RO water with salt from my LFS for my weekly water changes and top ups

Tap water is CARP!

Good luck

Recent Posts