Help. Two heads are better than one...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 23 May 2011.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Guys...

I need some input. Inevitably I have reached the point where I need to start feeding the NPS tank through the night, as I am only feeding at around 20h00 at present.

The NPS REALLY pops out at around 23h00pm to 01h00am so if I can offer them food then it would be awesome...

I have one problem though, with two variables.

Problem: If I run my overflow (return) at night, I am going to effectively remove alot of food from the column, that goes to waste. If I do not run the overflow(return), then the tank temperature will drop heavily, and so will the pH, oxygen, etc.

So, what do you think is the best solution to this:

a) Run the return VERY VERY slow, so the food taken in by the overflow is less.

or

b) Run a heater and airstone in the DT as well, in order to stabilize temp and O2.

I just cannot determine which method will work best. If I go with airstone and heater, I would need to build a "hidden" compartment to hide them from view.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

i would say run a slow return for feeding and then a stronger return when not feeding? are you using any automatic feeding stuff?

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Starting on that yes...

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Sleep during the day and do the feeding and maintenance thing at night :p

I will gladly change your name to Vladimere, Dracula or Vampiro :tt2:

6. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

I'm sure you're running a skimmer on this system. Why not time the skimmer to turn off at night so the amount of foods taken out by the skimmer will be reduced?

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I Saw on santa monica's site he used a wine chiller and a small dosing pump to feed his corals continually perhaps something like this would help you. Ill look for the link.

8. butcherman

i like this suggestion best ;) jaco you will have to quite your job also :tt2: and start sucking people dry of their blood :whistling:

9. Jaco Schoeman

The skimmer is already off from 17h00 to around 06h00am. The issue is the ammount of food that will go into the sump area, which will be more than the refuge / DSB can handle, and not only that, you do not want to know what a single feeding costs me per day... So I want maximum food in column for the coral to feed from, and loose as little as possible.

When the skimmer comes on again, the return does so as well, so then the skimmer works it's magic!!!

10. butcherman

11. Jaco Schoeman

Thank you steven. I know this setup, but these are one of those DIY projects that you HAVE to get the exact same stuff he got, and in fact have him build it to get right... The one I will use will be simpler than this, and I have a plan B too....;)

The issue is not the auto feeder, the issue is keeping everything alive whilst I effectively split the tank from the filtration.

Thanks!!!;)

12. butcherman

you want to split your tank from your filtration/sump for the night?

13. Jaco Schoeman

Correct!!! No sense in feeding whilst you are filtering out the food. Food = $$$...

14. archiecrain

archiecrain

Hmmmm the joys of NPS keeping....the more I read of this the less I think I will ever try any....:(

From a long term point of view you need to heat and airate the tank directly at night? How do you do that neatly and unubtrusivly?

Perhaps one of those hang on filters like an aquaclear? if that is evan practical? Dont know about the heater...

Perhaps another small sump that is seperate and lacks the filter media, but has the heater in it....

15. butcherman

It will mean a sump redisign and some fancy plumbing ;) what is currently in your sump/ filtration area? and what do you need to cut out?

16. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I dont think the heater and airstone in a hidden compartment will be enough to keep the complete tank temp stable. You would need a small circulation pump to get some decent flow over the heater and to redistribute the water. If you dont then I dont see much of a difference between running no return and this setup. How long would the return need to be off for the feeding? Would the water really lose so much heat and oxygen?

17. butcherman

perhaps redesign the sump? So you can bypass the filtration but still get heated. If the return is running surly the water is aerated automatically?

18. butcherman

wait a minute... what exactly is plan B?

19. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

how about having a pump that recirculates the sump and have it lit reverse cycle with some chromis or damsels in the sump, so when its disconnected it is still working and running, then when you reconnect let the overflow go through a filter-sock and floss and have the skimmer on so the bioload doesnt shoot up.

as for the DT have an internal filter, but instead of media etc, put a heater inside it to you have the flow through the heater. you can also look at dripping Hydrogen peroxide through the night to keep the redox up etc

20. chas84

chas84

Would it not help if you were to direct your powerhead(s) to move water (and as a result food) away from the overflow?

21. Jaco Schoeman

I am sworn to secrecy, sorry... I am busy testing the prototype, so when I am in a position to let you know, you will know ;)

As for the rest of your replies, thank you!!! I think I am going to add a small chamber with slits in to my overflow chamber, where the heater will be placed in (just to hide it) In this compartment there will be a small little pump just to help the water circulate into the DT better. That way the heater is well hidden, and I loose only a littlebit of tank realestate.

The powerheads always runs, so the flow would keep the 02 levels in check. Then after the 12 hour "split", the overflow will switch on again and the filtration will run again.

Any problems you can think of in my plan?

Recent Posts