Help! TropiQuarium

Reaction score
Hi All

Help, I am running a Tropiquarium 88 (130 l) for 12 months and have lost countless fish. Currently I have only 3 fish a clownfish, a midasblenny? and a starfish.

I have been adding max of 2/3 fish per month, but then some die. I have lost humbugs; damsels, chromos and a salarias goby. Generally the salinity; ph, Kh, N02; N03 been fine; calcium low perhaps. I have only the built in filter system that cames with the Tropiquarium and I have a Prizm Skimmer.

So my question is how much fish can a 130 l tank hold ?

Thanks beforehand
nemoplanner

Hi nemoplanner :welcometomasa1:

I moved your post to it's own thread, so as not to confuse guys.

Ok never heard of a Tropiquarium 88, suppose it is just the make.

When you say "Generally the salinity; ph, Kh, N02; N03 been fine;" what are they.
Tell us more about your tank so that we can try help, how often water change, sump etc.
Pic's will also help as sometimes guys see things in them that may help you.

Hi Shaun

Thanks for the prompt reply. Photo's attached, consistent Ph at 8.5; KH - 8; N02 0.0; N03 50 mg; calcium about 300; salinity 1022 - adding cycle and calcium 1 x week; water change @ 15 % sal once a month ; RO weekly added, depending on salinity. I dont have an additional sump. thank you nemoplanner
160749847d88bacad.jpg

Do you measure Ammonia, this is deadly to fish

How many fish do you have ?

Need to do WC on a weekly basis.

DOn't suppose you have a sump with DSB or skimmer ?

Hi Nemoplanner, could i just ask that you don't add any more fish until we can help you find out what is causing the problems, once we can set you on the right road, i'm sure you will enjoy this rewarding hobby much more.

hi nemoplanner,

welcome to MASA. i hope we can help you make a better success of this than you have had in the past. Marine fish and reef keeping is a wonderfully rewarding hobby if you get it right, but hell for all concerned (thats you, your bank manager and the live stock) if things go wrong.

i am sure you will have lots of questions, dont be shy to ask them:)

Hi NemoPlanner! A very WELCOME to MASA! I am extremely glad that you found us, and joined MASA!

OK - some of my fellow members already asked some great questions.

Here's mine:
1) where do you get the water from, that you use to do the wate changes with?
2) a nitrate level of 50 mg/litre is QUITE high - even for a fish only system - I can only account it to that Bio in-tank filter that you are using - how often do you clean this filter out? Do you have ANY other external filtration at all? You say your tank does not have a sump? Do you use a canister filter at least, at all?

Here's some suggestions, in order to try and urgently resolve this issue.
Short term changes:
-------------------
1) do at least 3 or 4 water changes, ONCE every week of at least 30% every time....
2) remove the Bio internal fintration - and clean it out VERY WELL
3) get some SeaChem stability and some PSB bacteria - and dose over the next 4 weeks some of this bacteria in your tank.
4) try and siphon out as much detritus from the tank as possible

LONG TERM:
-----------
1) try and get hold of an external canister filter and start using it - remove ALL the sponges/filterwool and other standard filter media - and place nitrate remover media, phosphate remover media, and activated carbon into the canister filter
2) try and get an external/hang-on skimmer - at least to skim the crap (DOC's and POC's) out of the water
3) make plans to get or build a siphon overflow, and get/build a sump with a DSB (Deep Sand Bed) in the sump, to be you main filtration in the tank...

Once all of this has been completed - you SHOULD see that you should loose FAR less fish in the future!

Hi Mike and Jacquesb

Mike, of course I have been using R/O water bought at a reputable marine shop; I get my salt water from the two oceans aquarium. Been changing 13 ltr (10%) of salt and 6.5 ltr of R/O water (total 15 % of 130 ltr) monthly, will now do it weekly as suggested by Jacquesb.

Jacquesb. Thanks for your comprehensive reply, must admit it tells me how much i still dont know yet. I have a overhang skimmer with overflow, will pursue obtion of a sump and/or phosphate remover.

Perhaps i also need some expert help - will seek.

thanks nemoplanner

Hi Mike and Jacquesb

Mike, of course I have been using R/O water bought at a reputable marine shop; I get my salt water from the two oceans aquarium. Been changing 13 ltr (10%) of salt and 6.5 ltr of R/O water (total 15 % of 130 ltr) monthly, will now do it weekly as suggested by Jacquesb.

Jacquesb. Thanks for your comprehensive reply, must admit it tells me how much i still dont know yet. I have a overhang skimmer with overflow, will pursue obtion of a sump and/or phosphate remover.

thanks nemoplanner

We're all here to learn dude, just keep reading up as much as you can, and keep asking questions.

Hi Mike and Jacquesb

thanks nemoplanner

Welcome to masa, please explain, not getting this - I might be a bit slow on this Sunday :p
Changing RO? Or do you mean replacing evapourated water in your tank?

Back
Top Bottom