Help to fix tank water

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Chris Makings, 3 Nov 2013.

1. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

Hey guys, this is not to start an argument or debate or anything like that. Its to help sort out my tank, here is little back round. system is a juwel lido 200lt tank, standard juwel canister filter with cirax and a juwel hang on skimmer

So when I first started my tank as was told by a lfs tap water is fine to use, but I had to use prime as well with the tap water. Knowing what I know now I would have rather just used RO water from the start.

So I have been using tap that ever since, yes I do know that RO water is the best to use but I could not afford a machine a the time and buying RO was just a bit of a hassle.( being new to the hobby I did not see the need for it if the lfs said tap water will be fine)

So the tank has being going for about 6months now, and I can not get rid of the algae at all. Tried the red sea NOPOX, has helped a little but I think I am just wasting my money as I have been topping up with tap water.

I don't have much live stock in my tank at the moment, got two false percular clowns, watch man goby, 2 green chromis, cleaner shrimp, some snails and a hermit crab. Corals is mushrooms, zoas, pincushion and torch. Over the past two weeks or so I have lost two heads on my torch coral, and pincushion seems to be sick.

So my question is I want to try get rid of the tap water that is in the tank. I can only think of two options, 10% water change every week for a year and only top up with ro water, or drain the tank and refill with only Pre mixed salt water.

I know the best would be to drain the tank and refill it as a quicker option, but my concern is the live stock, would they be fine in the tank after the new water is in, would it cause the tank to recycle? I don't really want to wait a year to have the tank sorted out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. BarryG

BarryG

Ok.

Step 1 would be to change your LFS.

Setup a small quarenteen setup for lifestock. U can do it in a plastic crate even. Heater and flow and then regular small waterchanges.

Drain tank and replace all water if new RO MIXED SALTWATER. Give all your rocks a good scrub in a seperate tub with RO water. Evaluate your skimmer. Might not be optimal

Let cycle if possible. Concider adding some bacteria like special blend.

Good luck

4. Chris Makings

Chris Makings Thread Starter

@BarryG, I have change lfs, my only problem is I am a bit limited to space at the moment, so setting up a separate tank is a bit of a problem, and money is a issue, getting married in two months time.

Would it cause the tank to recycle if I do it that way. I am trying to see if there is another option I can do instead of draining the tank and refilling it. But if that is the only solution then I would have to do that.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Chris Makings

Sorry forgot to mention, skimmer is rated for 500lts

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Dont think draing all the water and replacing it is a good option.
    Look at rather upgrading your filtration. Unless rinsed often, cirax can trap detritus leading to higher nitrates. Perhaps up your water changes amd look at adding something to he with nutrient export, so some macro or even biocubes.
    Are you running any phosphate remover?

7. Chris Makings

@459b, I am not running any phosphate remover, I do however clean all sponges yesterday and replaced what I nitrax sponge and carbon as well, do that once a month, I did not rinse the cirax as I thought it might kill the bacteria. Only thing that I use is the red sea NOPOx that I put 4ml in once a day. so If I do 25lt water changes once a week that should help? I am getting 25lt already mixed salt tomorrow and 25lt RO water for top ups as well. should I just stick to that for now?

8. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

just my 2c ... and not attacking you..you clearly state that you could not afford a ro unit and that collecting ro water was a hassle... i dont think blamig any lfs is correct... plenty guys i know,incl myself have started with tap water but then have been topping up ro ... maybe if collecting water wasnt a hassle things would be different....lfs cannot always be blamed.. as for the issues,i dont recommend full drainage ,i reckon frequent water changes with premixed lfs water and maybe some added filtration like some carbon/chemipure elite ,goodluck dude :thumbup:

9. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

oh and im also no saying that starting with tap water is recommended.

10. Chris Makings

@Fuzzy, I am not blaming anybody for what I am currently experincing, need less to say I don't go to that lfs any more but I go to there other store closer to me. Get good service there and they have been very helpful I know I am to blame. As yes I thought all would be alright. This is really not a debate on what the guy at the lfs said to me. I just want to get my tank sorted out. I do run active carbon that I change once a month as well as the nitrax sponge, I also clean all the sponges out once every two weeks. So the best is to do the 10% water changes once a week for awhile

11. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

no worries,was just saying.... but try some chemipure elite,its quite good at helping with nutrients as well as silicates which is sometimes a bigger culprit than phosphates ... maybe clean sponges more regulary ... filter wool and sponges can also be a prob in a marine tank if they are placed in a bad spot or not cleaned often enough... also,maybe have your water tested and see what the no3 and po4 is sitting on and you can also consider orca cubes after that..

12. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

I would recommend a bit bigger water change ie: 50 liter a week for 2 months and also start using Orca Bio Cubes to reduce Nitrates and Phosphate and to maintain bacteria during frequent water changes.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

how much do you feed. You do not have a lot of fish and changes are that you could be overfeeding.
    When giving flakes, it should all be eaten within 5 minutes. Ensure that the flakes do enter the water column, give it underwater, and that the flakes do not end up in the filter or skimmer.

You need to start water changes, maybe even 20% until you see a difference. Bigger water changes you need to check the PH, salinity and temperature.

You can keep the old wastewater in big open tub, and rinse your rocks in that to flush out settlement. Try that once or twice, depending on results. Do not need to do all the rock on the same day, can do 50% this week and leave the rest for next weekend.

What substrate do you have? How clean is it, does it release a green pea soup cloud when disturbed?

14. Chris Makings

My only problem is I do not know where I will put the orca cubes, as the filter does not allow it, it is basically full of the sponges, which I will clean once a week from now on, is there not something I can just add, like a liquid? @RiaanP, I feed flakes twice a day I. Just put it in on the water, should I actually submerge it when feeding with me fingers? and sometimes I yes sometimes it does settle on the subtrate but that is where the shrimp grabs is and my goby also eats it. Only a little. Goes into the filter, the subtrate is carribean argonite, and no when there is no green pea soup cloud that comes out of the subtrate, my sand sifter is always cleaning. Is that good?

15. Chris Makings

I also feed reef snow twice a week and mysis shrimp and lobster eggs once a week, sort of target feed the torch coral, have not really seen it eat anything yet.

16. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

maybe post a good pic of the sump so we can see what you mean about the sponges etc etc

17. Chris Makings

@Fuzzy, there is no sump as it is an intern canister filter, that fits into the main display, I have only a pic of from the manual that you will see below, I have set it up exactly as it is in the pic,

Right at the top you have your filter wool, then active carbon sponge, tthe nitrax sponge, a blue sponge, then cirax, then two fine blue sponges, hope this helps. [​IMG]

18. Chris Makings

Here is a fts shot done about 3 weeks ago [​IMG]

ank is abit worse off at the moment

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes, ensure that the food do not just float around. Not sure how you filtration intake looks like, but if it does skim the top, then too much flaked end up there.

As far as I know, those sponges are not used for biological filtration, but as a sponge to trap detritus. Therefor it needs to be rinsed more than once a week, before it can go biological.

20. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

oops sorry,missed out the part that its sumpless...ummm what you can do is remove all sponges leaving just one top sponge that can be cleaned often..and run orca cubes/phosguard or whatever else in that filter

21. Chris Makings

@RiaanP, yes it does skim the top of the water, I will start submerging the flakes when I give them.
    @Fuzzy, will it not cause a bit more problems removing all the sponges, as in keeping the water clear? I only have about 12kg live rock in the tank and about 5 kg base rock, should I add more lr in the tank if I remove the sponges? Can I do a mixture of orca cubes and carbon in the filter?

Recent Posts