HELP!!! Temp problem

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Jaco Schoeman, 22 Dec 2008.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi. I have just started my first Marine Tank so I am still but a beginner at this. Will need all your help please. Everything went well with the maturation process. Been running 3 weeks now. But then came the 32 degree temperature average in JHB. This has put a very big doubt cloud in my head once I went to the petshop and saw what chillers cost!!

I've read the post of the fans, and I think I know of a way to do the same thing. The guys at the petshop recons though that for Corals (which I mostly want) need temperatures of 23 - 24 degrees. Now I do not know if blowing air over the water will reduce 32 degrees (ambient) to 23. What must my ultimate temperature be for Coral?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum Jaco, I have moved your post into it's own thread so we can help you.

23-24 is a bit low, 25 - 26 is a good temp to run your tank at.

Do you have a sump? If so then simply adding a standard desktop fan to blow air directly over your sump will assist greatly in reducing your temperature, however this will also increase your evaporation (evaporative cooling), so you will need to keep an eye on your RO top-ups.

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

No. I have a Eheim canister filter, with a Eheim internal filter. I also have Red Sea skimmer (external)

What I was thinking though, is to fit a fan in my canopy, and let the water that comes out of my canister filter run over a mesh, and blow over it before it enters the tank again. The other option was to strap blue gel ice packs onto my canister to make it cooler. I will however need to change it every couple of hours. Do you think it will work?

5. moz

moz

Before I had my chiller, when the tank got hot I did my top up with frozen RO water it helps a bit.

6. viper357

That should work, just keep an eye on your water level as it evaporates.

7. Peanut

Peanut

How many litres is your tank?

Get hold of PetStop SA in Pretoria. They currently have nice specials on chillers.

I have recently bought a chiller for my 24-gallon nano-cube (approx 80 litres) Been running for two weeks and temp has never gone above 27.5.

Only cost me R2 500.

Hope this helps.

8. irshaad

irshaad

put RO ice blocks in ur top up water, and store top up water in cooler bag/flask :p

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Jaco, WELCOME to MASA.

I'm sorry to say, but it looks like someone has either given you bad advice, and/or the pet shop has sold you the wrong equipment...

If you want a long-term successful reef tank (with living corals) your expensive canister filter and internal filter are totally wrong - because of their lack of anaerobic filtration capacity they WILL end up causing an excessive buildup of nitrates in your tank, and that will just cause unwanted algae problems, and will be harmful to the corals.

I don't think that will be a long-term solution - the heat exchange capacity between the ice packs and the canister filter will be very low (inefficient) and the actual amount of heat to be extracted is such that you will need large quantities of ice packs, exchanged every hour or so... which means that you (or someone reliable) will have to stay at home during the heat of the day EVERY DAY, without fail...

You will either have to use a chiller or set up a sump and have a fan or two blow air over the water. Although a sump is not absolutely necessary, just about EVERY long-term successful marine tank has a sump - that should tell you something :whistling:

If I may suggest, do some more research on setting up a marine tank (spend a few days reading here on MASA...), then change the tank setup while it is still in the beginning stage, and get it right - filtration, lighting AND heat control...

Hennie

10. goodisor

goodisor

I am seriously of the opinion,that there are only three ways to cool a tank 1)Buy a chiller 2)Buy a fan or 3 to blow on your sump or tank or srcubber or all of the above 3)Move to somewhere cold [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. chris

chris

Do as reef maniac said,get your setup fixed now while you are still cycling,you dont want to do it later,I changed my setup a few days ago from cannister filter and hang on back skimmer to a overflow with sump etc,let me tell you its hard work.

Save time and do it right first time.

12. Jaco Schoeman

Thank you for the advise. Got my temperature down to 24-26 again. Bought a 9" desk fan from hi fi corp, completely tore it to bits (there goes the waranty) and cut a hole in my canopy to fit it. My temperature dropped from 31 to 23,5 from 8pm to 7am. I can see that the RO topup will be a bit heavy though. I will definitely invest in a chiller though, it just makes life a lot easier.

So on the sump issue:
    1)Do you buy commercial sumps, or is it diy?
    2)What will a sump setup cost?
    3)What size should I look at for my 3foot tank?

It just makes me so cross, as my filtration and skimmer cost me aprox R3000, and for what?

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Now that you manged to drop the temperature down. Set you heater at 25/26. The idea is to keep the temperature constant else your fish will have a whitespot breakout.
    1. DIY
    2. About R150 - R200 of the size of sump for your tank
    3. 2ft sump.

14. viper357

Nothing wrong with a skimmer, just the canister filter.

For a sump you can either DIY one or just buy a standard 2ft or 3ft tank and make whatever adjustments/additions you need.

15. goodisor

goodisor

Definitely the easiest and cheapest route to go.Buy a 2ft tank or as big as you can afford(the bigger the better)and just add a few strategically placed glass baffles.Check on the forum there are alot of really cool designs and they really are easy to make.........as far as the cannister goes,...well,you could use it as a chair well you modify the sump [​IMG]

16. Jaco Schoeman

I think I am sorted with now. What I have done is to keep the canister filter. I have redisigned my whole canopy though. I hung two large guppy tanks inside my canopy, and place ceramic filtration media in it (those that looks like Fruit Loops.) My canister filter outlet pipe is now discharging its' water over these via a spray bar. It then falls into my tank. I have monitored my NO2, NO3 and NH3-NH4 levels these couple of days and they are all on zero.

Will keep on monitoring though. The problem with a sump for me is that my tank is standing on top of my TV wall unit. I have no space for it... Gonna have a jol if my tank leaks though :lol:

17. crispin

crispin

hmmm jaco i'm afraid to say that bio balls (fruitloops you cant eat) are really not a good idea:( they tend to play absolute havoc with the nitrate/nitrites in the tank, can lead to amonia etc etc etc. Have a re read through what hennie said above, you truley wont get better advice.

if the position of the tank makes adding a sump so difficult, I personally would move the tank, especially if you want to keep corrals.

i know you say your cycles say the spikes are all zero, but your long term managment of the tank will lead to endless heartache I am sure.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Jaco, say again, the tank is ABOVE your TV?

This is a blown TV in the waiting, one day you will spill and BOOOOOOMMMM

Angry wife, unhappy kids and very shocked Jaco.

I once mess water onto a computer monitor, and wow, it makes one load bang. Best of all it was at work, and nobody missed that. Anyway I won the monkey award that month.

19. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Make a small sump somewhere behind your wall unit.Make a DSB and return chamber in your sump.Use the EHEIM filter for carbon and phosphate media.Problem solved.You could even build a sump ontop of your tank.Think longterm...

Recent Posts