Help! Tang stuck in overflow

Reaction score
Woke up to find my regal tang in my overflow. it is very cramped in there and removing the durso and return pipe is not an option. How else could I do it?

No idea... I couldn't even get my regal out of my sump.... :(

crap man.try and block you outlet pipe and raise the waterlevel in your DT.hope fully he might swim out.

Last edited:
Plenty of space for him, but not for my hand or net. Looks like he tore his fin a bit. Thanks Mekaeel, will try that.

Need to get a cap today to cover the pipe. Hope he'll be alright in there for a while.

Can only try again after work. I gave him some food before I left. Hopefully he's not stressing too much.

I lost my yellow tang like this but he went down the overflowpipe, my tank flooded and i lost my best fish.

Hope you get him out, keep us up to date

Spear Gun
yeah that might work
You might need a cave gun cos a 120 will be too long:biggrin:

I would try and attach an old credit card or feathers/coloured elastic bands/string to a piece of pipe or rod, insert it into the overflow then block off the pipe to fill it up higher then try to chase it up and hope it can swim back. Make sure your tank can't overflow or the sump get too low and cook a heater. If that is impractical and the fish is large enough maybe use a specimen hook with the barb removed and some bait.

I nearly forgot I have a ball valve on the overflow pipe so it will be easy enough to fill the overflow box to the top. Thanks for the tips guys

Back
Top Bottom