Help - Slimy White Fungus

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by lIghty, 23 Jul 2008.

1. lIghty

lIghty

Hi all

I urgently need some advise / help.

Lost my Power Brown about a week ago due to white, So I think.

Noticed over the last couple days my other fish have just been behaving rather funny, just not them selfs. My attention was brought to my one clown this morning when I noticed him swimming directly into the wave maker, I looked closely at him and noticed like a slimy white fungus on him, covering pretty much his whole body, on closer inspection I saw it on the tangs and modus blenny too! They seem to be breathing heavily too. Water is in check.

They also haven't been feeding as much.

Please can someone help! really battling!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

HHhhhmm - lIghty - did ANYTHING happen in the past 36 hours in or around the tank?
    Did you perhaps add new lifestock (anything at all)?

This definitely is not right. Perhaps try some Myxazin - hope this helps.....
    Otherwise - try and increase the water temp to +-28 degrees..... see if this helps.
    Turn some pumps off temporarily - and decrease the lighting in the tank - this should reduce the stress on the fish.

4. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Last thing that I did was add the power brown.

I'm increasing temp from 25 to 28 over a day or two.

Is Myxazin safe with corals and inverts?

5. jacquesb

Yes - lIghty - Myxazin is reef safe. I have added it to my tank before without ant effects to my invertebrates.

It is QUITE possible that the powder brown actually had this "bacteria" already when you got it.....

Good luck with this....

6. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Bad News

Got home this afternoon to find my one clown dead in the overflow and the other missing. Also realised that I haven't seen my royal grammar........................:(

So not in the best of moods but what can one do? these thing can and will happen sometime or other, right?

Well, starting treating with Myaxzin this evening and hoping for the best, realy concerned about my Yellow tang and my Midus blenny! Funny thing is, my Regal tang which is normally like a girl, no affence ladies, is ok, he has got signs of the fungus but not as bad as I would have expected?

My Yellow is really breathing hard, do you think I should add a air stone to the tank?

Turned off all circulation pump and only running return pump?

Skimmer is off and carbon removed.

Water temp is 27.8 at the moment.

Is there anything more I can do?:(

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

8. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

turn the skimmer and circ pumps back on, you are starving them of oxygen, get one circ pump moving the surface to get as much O2 in the tank as poss.

9. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks Wee-Man, but its too late, lost my Yellow Tang & blenny last nite. put a air stone full taps in this morning.

what would be causing the lack of O2?

also haven't seen my to 2 gobies.

Actually feel like packing it in..... so #*^$$@$ mad.

10. jacquesb

Sorry to hear this lIghty. Perhaps give yourself some time to re-group and re-think your strategy.
    Find the source / main cause of the problem (could possibly have been the powder brown that infected the other fish?)...

Don't "just pack in"..... give it some chance, and then start getting some fish again.... let your tank run with only the corals in for a while... no fish....

Wee-Man - surely the skimmer and water return should supply AMPLE oxygen to the water? My tank/fish can go on for HOURS when we have a power-outage, with ONLY the return pump working, without my fish being affected at all....

11. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

JB, my point was that, as the fish were breathing hard, whether through sickness or lack of O2, the lack of circulation/skimming/gas exchange is unlikely to help the situation and as i see it, surely the lack of skimming mean lower water quality and the potential lack of O2 would very much hinder the fish and it's ability to fight off the disease.

12. jacquesb

OK - cool! Now I understand... :) Thanks for the explanation.

Recent Posts