Help : Reducing Nitrates

Oh and PS. Just another quick thing... If your sump setup allows, move the carbon reactor to the last compartment in sump.... Order of filtration and all that....;)

Hey all thanks for all the advise, so i have started removing the lava rock.. a handfull a day :)
I see there is alot of gunk and crap between the lava rocks..

Once thats chamber is cleared im thinking of putting Orca Nitra Guard Bio Cubes in that chamber?what you all think?

And i will also move my carbon reactor to the last chamber and the Phosphate reactor (Runs rowaphos) before the Orca Nitra Guard Bio Cubes?

sumpSetup2.jpg

sumpSetup2.jpg

Once thats chamber is cleared im thinking of putting Orca Nitra Guard Bio Cubes in that chamber?what you all think? And i will also move my carbon reactor to the last chamber and the Phosphate reactor (Runs rowaphos) before the Orca Nitra Guard Bio Cubes?

100% you cant go wrong with the bio cubes:p

Alot will still be lost and get past the skimmer @Express Reef, so it will be fine before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note from my experience with the cubes, test your nitrates and get the appropriate amount of cubes that can deal with your situation regarding NO3 levels. No good buying 1 kg and you need 2 kgs.

@dallasg isnt the guideline 1g/L of water?

I have spoken to killer whale and in order to bring mine down I needed an additional 1 kg or they will not work.

That is a very sore point wrt cubes for me. So I have removed a kg of the stones and now use Red Sea nopox. Works well in my tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything from 1 to 3ml per litre. Dependant on initial no3 and stocking levels and waste input vs export.

It's based on what irie Ivan said, like all additives bigger the tank bigger initial outlay

red sea nopox not really working for me so going the cubes route..
so cubes after skimmer and before dsb and chaeto should be okay right?

okay, so finally got all the lava rock out.. so all thats in the chamber now is a filter matt..
I am thinking of doing the "Smart Bomb" 250ml Titanium and 250ml Original bio cubes :)

System is +- 600L including sump water, so should i rather go 500ml of both orca products?
I am still gonna run my Rowaphos after the cubes..

Agree with the bio cubes!

I run 2kg's on my 700L tank with no dsb. Phos and carbon reactor with skimmer rated 2500L
The cubes are fantastic, I over feed and my wife feed them pellets like it looks like a hail storm! My NO3 and NO2 is undetectable!!!!

Good luck with sorting out you nitrate issue! Im holding thumbs!

Last edited:
Just dont drop em too fast, as that acro of your needs to get used to the almost ogliotrophic conditions...
Alsi, watch those kights and flow as nutrients drop.

Back
Top Bottom