HELP: Premixed water

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 22 Jul 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

Hi all,

I am perplexed at why I am getting this so I am asking for some suggestions and or help.

Setup:

I have three large drums (note the numbers as I will be refering to them later by number):

Drum 1: RO water - TDS = 0 (tested with two different TDS meters)
    Drum 2: Mixing Salt water - Mixed at Salinity of 1026 with Seachem Salinity salt, maintained at a tempreture of 32 degrees C.
    Drum 3: Already mixed and tested water, this drum has my daily auto water change system connected to it.

Now in my quest for a ULNS I tested my DT the other day and got a reading of 2ppm Nitrate which for me is unacceptable. I checked everything including my drums outside.

I did the whole load of tests, Ammonia, N02, N03, P04, Cal, Mag, Alk, K.

Everything was perfect BUT N03, in both drum 2 and 3 I picked up 0.25ppm of Nitrate.... - yes P04 was 0, ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Cal 440, Mag 1250, Alk = 7dkh - K I can't remember but was perfect on the chart.

Now, the RO water used to make this salt water is TDS 0, The drums are completely sealed, both drums have the same config:

x2 11000l flow pumps
    x1 300w heater

So there is flow and there is heat, its not like the water is stagnent. Also the drums get cleaned out every 4 months completely.

I am not understanding where the Nitrates could be coming from - any ideas?

Thank you

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Why this temperature?

Are your drums made from food grade material? I have heard of certain plastics that can leach unwanted nasties into our water. I can't recall 100% but I think the general rule of thumb is that if the water beads on the plastic then it is not recommended to use it for seawater.

Fish osmoregulation causes nitrates, coral excretions cause nitrates, insufficient flow around live rock causes nitrates, feeding adds nitrates, etc. etc. if you are finding a gradual increase in Nitrates then I think you should rather look at increasing or improving your Nitrate export mechanisms with your tank. Are you confident that all detritus is being lifted up from the substrate into the water column so that it can reach the overflow and be exported by skimmer etc.? You could possibly look into a sulphur denitrator if you wanted to.

4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

The temp is because these dam heaters are never reliable so during winter I run it a little bit higher than normal.

The drums were bought at the plastic place at Life Style in Randburg, they are made for water so not sure if its
    water doesnt bead off it...

Yup :D understand the nitrate cycle this q was specifically aimed at the water I am using to do the changes. Feeding didn't change neither did the fish stock levels. I have 4 vortechs in my tank and I do x3 nutrient export modes a day where it makes sure everything is nicely shaken not stired :)

thanks for the post

5. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Why you are finding miniscule quantities of Nitrate in you mixed water is unknown, but this is a really very very small reading for NO3 I would not worry about it at all. I would also definately not worry about a nitrate reading of 2ppm in your display.

An ultra low nutrient system still needs some nutrients.;) Zero is never accurate any way, if this was accurate you corals would start dying.

6. Pete

Pete

Agree with Bob on this one

7. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

thanks for the info and perspective guys, I really do appreciate it!

Recent Posts