1. spentacle

spentacle

this is a picture of my DSB that i have in mind. What i want too know is is my sand too far down or not. i have heard from some people that your sand must be just below the flow of the water and from other people that it must not. What is the right answer. I am very new too the whole DSB thing much appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

okay photo wont upload will have to explain. So here it goes my DSB is 30 Cm Deep and the compartment with the sand is 25cm deep and the sand itself is 12cm deep. so what i am trying to ask you experts out there is. is my sand compartment too deep or fine

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

5. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

its a paint picture i made its only 20k

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

My DSB is roughly the same size as yours by the sounds of it, i was told at the time at least 15cm deep and leave roughly 10cm for flow, which is what i have done...so far so good. So on my experience i would say you are fine, but maybe someone else could confirm.

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

You need to save it a a JPG etc. Does an error come up?

8. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

no error it just appears above the masa heading and when i refresh it dissapears strange because i have saved it as a jpeg and it meets with all the criterias i dont know probably a windows vista problem

9. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

thanks kunhardt but dont you think that the further your sand is away the slower it will flow. Cause i read somewhere that the flow over the substrate in your DSB must be at least 10 to 20 times the volume of the display tank and at 10cm it wouldnt be that much. maybe i am interpreting it wrong thats why i am asking

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi spentacle try creating another folder and saving your edited pic there then uploading to MASA - had the same problem - also use vista - then when finished posting - delete the original pic - try

11. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

tried it chikaboo but didnt work damn i hate vista gonna load windows 7 tonight

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

i dont think so. three to four times the diplay. It needs to be slow. So if you plan to have a hectic return, make the water level above the sand more so the flow at the bottom is less

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

One last option try running Irfan View instead of paint to edit your pics - quick to download and install the program and works fine with vista - maybe better luck with that and a lot quicker than reloading a new version of windows!

14. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

thanks scuba maybe read it wrong maybe its the volume of the sump itself i dont know

15. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

wow dont know what happened there but anyway as i was saying this is far too much for me maybe i should go back to the old ways of a aqua clear and some freshwater fish

16. spentacle

spentacle Thread Starter

guppies maybe

17. Tridan

Tridan

Spentacle were do you live in EL i am in Gonubie so if you need a hand send me a pm and will make a plan to come to you.

18. chikaboo

chikaboo

If you start a seperate tank for guppies and have too many small ones send some my way - I'll give my lionfish the hunt of his lifetime! BTW spentacle have you had success in breeding freshwater fish? I'll have to give it a thought coz getting too expensive too feed my lionfish with live food from the petshop R50 every 2/3 days - getting heavy on the pocket!

19. sihaya

sihaya

What matters just as much as the depth of the sandbed is its "footprint"... the bigger the footprint, the better. It should be at least 36 inches long x 18 inches wide (or approx. 92cm x 46cm).... or some such dimensions that add up to the same square area.

Recent Posts