Help please

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by dubediver, 4 Aug 2016.

1. dubediver

dubediver

so my water is full of white spot and velvet. My inverts and corals are great. I put in a fish , it gets sick and dies. I have a cleaner wrasse, two firegobies , a purple gobie, and a yellow diamond back that do not get sick and have outlived all the other fish. If I wait 3 months before putting in any other fish, will the diseases leave the water , ? Should I use uv for 3 months ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

How sure are you it is velvet? The other fish in there will 99% of the time also die with velvet in the system, so suspect it is only white spot, as fish can get immunity from white spot if not stressed and water quality is great. What is your parameters on the tank? Ph level first thing in the morning, alk, nitrates and phos particularly?

4. dubediver

dubediver Thread Starter

Water test results:
    Kh 8.3
    Ca 420
    Mg 1260
    PO4 0.08
    NO3 undetectable

Not sure if it's velvet, but definitely different to the white spot which is present.

5. dubediver

dubediver Thread Starter

I introduced two tangs a week ago , the lipstick lasted two days, the yellow eye has spots but seems okay at the moment. I have a cleaner shrimp.

6. dubediver

dubediver Thread Starter

image.jpeg image.jpeg

7. dubediver

dubediver Thread Starter

My corals are doing well

8. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Do you have a pic of the yellow eye tang with the disease? UV might help if it is white spot, but I have found ozone is much more effective at both killing parasites and improving water quality, and it is less maintenance.

9. dubediver

dubediver Thread Starter

Will try for a pic. Okay , I will look into ozone.

10. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Cool, I have 50+ fish in a 750 liter (upgrading to 2000 liter in few months though) and they've had white spot on and off for over 2 years now, but not a single death due to it. Some high risk fish like a copperband and moorish idol too. Ozone and good food, together with good water quality, goes a long way to keeping them healthy. Velvet and Brooklynella are a different story and will wipe out your entire tank in a short time. So you really need to always quarantine new fish.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

your current fish that outlast all other, most likely would be carriers. Like having a light cough that they then past on to all other new fish as they are introduced.
    Seems you got 5 fish to take out and then leave the tank without fish for 6 to 8 weeks. Only then would you be sure that the tank is disease free.

Brook and whitespot organisms life cycle are very close. Similar pattern. Cysts, that hatch, attack the fish and grows, then falls off to form cysts again. But Brook is a lot more deadlier and infectious. Having the tanki without fish for 2 months would break those cycles.

hotdog83 likes this.
Recent Posts