help please

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Kevin34PE, 22 Jan 2013.

1. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE

Hi, as you can see, my name is Kevin , im 34 and from PE. Im new to the marine hobby, so please, any help will be appreciated.

I have built a 2.2m x 80cm x 80cm tank with sump etc, what I need help with isthe following
    1) what do I put in my sump? Live rock and dsb and chaeto or similar?
    2)what lighting can I use that won't bankrupt me, also im not sure yet as to what I want in my tank, so im guessing a light system for both fish and corals etc will be needed and where do I get it in pe?
    3) should I get a uv light for my sump?

Last edited: 22 Jan 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

You first need to decide what sort of tank you're going for (i.e FOWLR/softies/mixed reef/SPS etc)

4. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

That's jusy the problem,I'm not sure what I want in,maybe some corals and a anenome or 2? That's why I'm looking for a light system that can be used for various things. Not gonna be fun having a tank this size with just water and fish,I want to atleast make it something to look at.

5. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

An anemone or two he says, in his 2200x800x800 tank, he says. :)

I'd go for a dimmable LED cannon setup if it were me and I had the $$$. That way you can grow anything. @dallasg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. ty

ty

hey dsb and live rock is excellent as you need to mature your tank, a uv sterilizer i wouldn't say is necessary as indeed it kills all the bad bacteria but it also kills the good bacteria

7. saaid

saaid

A lot of options there. Try to get a decent amount of LR first and it will give you an idea of what you want the tank look like. I have a "similar" sized tank. Running 16 T5's of which 10 are blue and six white.

8. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

Ok thanks,so will scratch idea of a uv light.

But now my lighs for main tank,I don't have lots of $$$$$ left as I built tank and frame from scratch. But also a tank with no lights is boring,so what can I do as a temporary lighting system? Or should I just buy the one the petshop wants to sell me for R1500? Not sure what the specs are on it,but they know the size of my tank,and said its the same as what they have on the display tanks.

9. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Have a look on the for sale threads, lots of lighting setups for sale as people are upgrading to the latest and greatest.

10. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

As a suggestion for now.

Because your tank is so long and deep, consider maybe two islands of rockwork in your tank. This will be the areas to place your corals. Only light up these two areas (250 W MH/island with maybe 2x24W T5's).

Don't go overboard on the spending just to have all the equipment upfront. At the moment forget about anemones (they require very intense lighting and a stable system) and you'll then be able to get away with a cheaper set-up

When budget allows you can look at adding more islands/different lighting.

11. Dillan

Dillan

Have a look on the for sale forum there are loads of lights coming up all the time.

Your tank is a bit longer than mine but as wide and deep, so if you do go corals you will need some powerful lights.

In regards to the sump chat to @RiaanP but as you have loads of space like i do a nice deep sand bed is a bonus.

good luck

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How big is your sump? And the setup of our sump. Post a picture of your sump.

For lights, I will start off with secondhand T5, maybe even 150W MH
    Coral options for now should be around softies like leathers, mushrooms and zoa's. Forget SPS, clams anemones and even some LPS for now.

6 months to a year down the line, when you know how to keep things alive and growing, then upgrade to whatever lights you need for whatever you took fancy in.

13. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info so far, this is my 2nd tank, the smaller one gas awesome, hermits, trigger, damsel in, they living bout a year now. The sump on my tank im building is 1.84m x 40 x 45.

14. CarlosF

CarlosF

on that size tank bud everything cost alot of $$$$$$$

Recent Posts