Help please

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Hi
I cant find this oe in any of my books. Can anyone tell me what coral this is?
3March08020.jpg

Secondly, am I right in thinking that this is a mushroom coral?

3March08009.jpg

(I was given both of these in case you are thinking they were impulse buys!)

cheers

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hello Bayls -

Don't worry - both corals are relatively "Easy to keep" corals. Your tank is basically ready (it's been long enough, hey ;-).... As long as you don't have any measurements of ammonia or nitrites - then the corals should be fine.

The top picture is a sarcophyton lobophytum (I called the one I had a "rose lobed leather coral").....
The second one is a discosoma mushroom coral. The mushroom corals seem to prefer slightly less light and water flow (low to medium) than the leather coral. The leather coral prefers higher flow and more light (medium/medium)....

Congratulations with your 1st corals! hope you enjoy them!

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome Bayls! BTW: They are easy to care for - no target feeding required... You will most likely notice the mushies sometimes close up in a funny soft ball type thing - especially when you feed the tank (fish). The would then have "caught" some food by themselves... Otherwise they eat micro planctonic food, and live on the energy the zooxanthellae produces....

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Yip, Jacques is right, the first one, pin cushion, looks like it has been fragged/cut