Help please

Reaction score
Hi there. My name is Sina. I started my tank 2 weeks ago. There are something growing on my rocks and sand.

Probably diatoms - normal during cycling of a new tank. Pics will help.

I hope you have no fish or corals in the tank. Keep the light off during this period.

Hello and welcome Sina.

That should be part of your cycle. With the live rock, there are a lot of organism inside the rock that died. And they have to decompose. The other life forms still around needs to bounce back. And repopulate the rock. This is all part of the normal cycle process. Only when your ammoniac levels stay 0 for about a week, then you know that your system stabilized and then you can add your first fish.

This is a mainly South African forum. Where in SA are you? City / region?

Last edited:
For how long must i leave the lights off. Can I take the algae out.
Can I put now livestock in. When must I clean my tank.

You should only put "livestock" in once your water parameters are all fine, and then only add a CUC. Test your ammonia to see if it is going up or down, once it is gone, add the clean up crew. Read the threads in the links belindamotion gave you......they explain everything!

It appears to me that you started off without much research. Marines is not like freshwater. A lot more complicated. Please refer to the link below and search this site for more info. There are lots of threads/articles about starting a marine setup. Please post poics of yours asap, incl. sump/filtration system, etc.

Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Hi Sina and welcome to masa its great to have you join and awesum to hear you have a tank up and going already:)

Generally the people on masa realy love to help others to look after theor tanks as best they can but you will find that the quality of advice you get is directly proportional to the amount on info we have in order to give you the best possible advice, basically the more info ytou give us to work with the better we can help you:)

As others have said it sounds like diatoms which is just a bug bear every new tank goes through as it starts to cycle and mature. But a pic would help us give you a concrete ID.

It sounds like the tank is realy new and i wouldnt advise adding any live stock for a while, let things seetle and stabalise a while before you spend money on things that might not survive.

have you gotten any test kits, could you possibly give us some results so we can see the state the water is in?

Hi Sina,
welcometomasa
I sincerely hope you will enjoy your time here. This hobby is quite hardcore in terms of time and effort but it is just as rewarding.
P.S. Dont be offended by some apparently "harsh" or brutaly honest comments. Some of us are more "fish people" than "people people" if you catch my drift. We are all trying to help in our own special way. :wacky:

Dont be offended by some apparently "harsh" or brutaly honest comments. Some of us are more "fish people" than "people people" if you catch my drift.
That is so true :thumbup: I get along better with fish than people 70% of the time :p

Hey @Sina I am also very new to marines, although I haven't started yet and unfortunately won't be for a while :( I have been doing a lot of reading and from what I've read stuff growing in the tank in the beginning is normal but can also be made worse by doing incorrect things like using plain tap water..
On the forum the best way to go about things is give tons of details, like your tank size and equipment and everything you've done and even better still would be to upload a picture or two so people can see for themselves, we all really love to look at tanks and if you don't upload pics you're likely to be asked to a million times :) there is a lot of overwhelming information provided but it's worth it to set aside some time everyday to read through the links people give.

Some important details would be what the stuff that's growing looks like, and also your equipment you have running in your tank so the experts can come along and give their facts and advice. Oh, and welcome to masa :)

Last edited by a moderator:
RiaanP. Must the lights be on in my tank.

Hi there. My name is Sina. I started my tank 2 weeks ago. There are something growing on my rocks and sand.

There is only live rocks in my tank.

Will put later pics on. This is a new tank.

For how long must i leave the lights off. Can I take the algae out.
Can I put now livestock in. When must I clean my tank.

masahello

Sina, dont be afraid to explain things in detail... This is not like an sms where you start paying more when you use more than a certain amount of characters, infact it is all free and that is made possible by the sponsors, which in tern get allot of loyal masa customers...

Hi Sina, welcome to MASA.

Like the guys say, please give as much info as possible in order for us to help you. Seeing that you got lots of questions regarding a new tank cycle, I suggest you read the link below in my signature on starting a marine tank - it will give you lots of info and can only help you ;)

Back
Top Bottom