Urgent help needed Help Please. Electricity Leak

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Dre, 21 Jun 2015.

1. Dre

Dre

Hi guys please can someone urgently help. I don't understand how this happens but there is electricity leaking into my tank. I can feel it when I stick my finger in. What could it be? I have looked around the tank and there is no water leaking any where or on any of the wires. What can cause this and how do I fix it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Steveysteve

Steveysteve

Maybe switch off one electrical unit at a time and test to see if there is still current running into the water until you find the culprit.

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

First step is to test if the earth leakage is working and if it is safe to put hands in the tank. And if there is an electrical leak.

Do you have a grounding probe in your tank?

Last edited: 21 Jun 2015
    shaunn likes this.
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do you have a multimeter?

If yes, Then put one probe in your tank, the other against an earth. Be it the metal screw on your wall connection. Or even better, take a wall plug, with only one wire connected to the big prong. Connect the other probe to that. Plug it into an earthed outlet.
    Put the multimeter on Voltage 240.

Unplug everything.

then plug back your equipment one at a time, everytime checking the multimeter if you get a reading.

When checking your heater, check that the heater is on. Else it can stuff you around 10 minutes later when it switch on.

Salt creep on the T5 units are sometimes the guilty part. Else its just wear and tear on older powerheads and pumps.

6. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

I don't have any of those things. Where can I get one from. What I don't understand is that the tank and all equipment are new.

7. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

OK guys I purchased a grounding probe. Will this remove the electricity or will it just shut the power off when it does happen?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Grounding probe should trip the house power when something starts leaking electricity seriously. A bit of voltage, 3V 8V for example would just go to ground.

It will not solve the issues you got. Kind of masking it. Still need to test all equipment.

Maybe some condensation on your lights if everything is brand new.

9. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

OK thanks but if I find the piece of equipment that is causing it do I replace that equipment. I have led lights which are sealed so could it still be that. On my tank I have everything running from one extension with a UPS to another extension running my heaters and return pump. do I have to cut open the extension plug and run the probe on there or can I just buy another plug and run the probe separately on its own plug but in the same wall socket next to the extension plug?

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Better.
    Just make sure that the extension plug is earthed.

11. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

OK thanks. Excuse my ignorance but how do I check that?

12. Dexter

Dexter

You will have to look at the plug and see if the "green" wire is connected on the top of the plug. They sometimes green and yellow.

13. Duri

Duri

Update on the situation?

I had an issue like this but it was due to my equipment perishing (wires) my uplift pump made me shock many times until I saw the spark (tripped everything everytime) in the sump on a day after loadshedding.

I shocked a good few times before lol.

14. yasinomarjee

yasinomarjee

Bit of a dumb q but would that affect corals n fish

15. Willie85

Willie85

If you don't have a multimeter easiest way is to switch equipment off one at a time until you don't feel the power in the water anymore.
    My suggestion will be if you have electrical equipment running on 230 Volt in your tank a grounding probe is a must.
    Il rather try and use 12- 24 Volt equipment if I where you.

16. zayd

zayd

Not that I'm aware of

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The tank is isolated. When you stick your hand into the water you earth the tank. Especially if you are barefoot. And you stand in that one drop of water you messed.

Communica in Midrand got small little multimeters for cheap. In a bin close to the paypoint.

18. contrid

contrid

Technically your fish cannot shock because they are not grounded. At least I think so.

I had the same problem in my tank and isolated the problem down to a cracked, glass heater. I changed out the heater and the problem was gone.

19. Secondwave

Secondwave

I have seen this before now all you equitment is new question did you put a three pin plug on any of these items because what i found caused this once is a guy put three pin plugs on all his equitment but by chance he put the positive and negative the wrong way around on one of the plugs, it still worked but it caused a roaming earth that caused your problem just check that out

Recent Posts