Help on rock identification

Reaction score
Guys these rocks come from iscors left overs,just want to know if anyone can help with id? and wil it be safe to use in a reef aquarium and what parameters wil it affect if any?
DSCN0894.JPG

Okay sory for the prob with the pic but here above is one,anyone please help me with ID on this rock and is it reef safe

Dolomite? Iscor use it when they smelt iron ore. Just a guess though!
Doesn't look porous though?
I wouldn't use it, let somebody else suffer!

Last edited:
Very difficult to tell, you will never know what that is going to leach out into your system.

Okay,it is very porious,was just wondering cause if it can work and doesnt affect any parameters I can get loads of this stuff for very cheap,is there any advice on curing it and do you think I can give one piece a try in my tank and see what it does

try putting it in a bucket of salt water like in the morning and test for everything that night, maybe for the week to be sure if you can? i'm no guru but if you're interested in trying it out try that. it may be absolutely fine, who knows. it looks like it might need to go through a cylcle so high PO4s etc might be there anyway, maybe take what ever tests you can and then post here? worth a try i guess, but i'm no guru

Warr - there are 2 types of LAVA based rocks..... the one that contains irons/metals, and another that does not..... the prior is the bad one - the latter have been successfully used..... Google it a bit ;-)

Warr - there are 2 types of LAVA based rocks..... the one that contains irons/metals, and another that does not..... the prior is the bad one - the latter have been successfully used..... Google it a bit ;-)

J, what kind of volcano creates lava that has no iron or metals in it ?

Must be quite weird, like a mud volcano :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom