Help New tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Tanz, 27 Feb 2010.

1. Tanz

Tanz

Hi all. Please tell me just started a new tank just mixed the salt with RO water. Salinity is at 1.023 can I put live rock in to the tank now. Or is there any thing else that i must check first.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

What live rock do you have and how much of it? Oh my manners Welcome to MASA...

4. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!!:thumbup:

5. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Yes you can put the live rock in...What substrate have you got...?

6. Tanz

Tanz Thread Starter

Only got 8kg's of Kenyan rock today, DT has crushed coral and in the sump DSB play sand. the 8kgs of rock = only like 3 pieces of rock. 2 in the dt and 1 on the dsb. planning to get more from somewhere else tomorrow. sound ok ?

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Tanz! Great to have you on-board!

8kgs of live rock is good, but more is much much better. You can always stock up slowly but surely. BUT the longer you take to get live rock, the more important it is to get "CURED" live rock...... else you might end up having your tank's cycle all over again.

Also investigate getting some "dead" base rock - ie. fake rock/bio rock.... much cheaper than live rock. And is usually used for the "base" of your rock pile.....

8. Tanz

Tanz Thread Starter

thanks for the advice, we will probly get the last of the live rock by end of next month, so we dont mind waiting for the tank to finish its cycle after that, jus wanted to make sure we didnt have to check or worry about any water parameters before adding the lr to start the cycle?

9. Tanz

Tanz Thread Starter

so... after the tanks ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0 and nitrate is below like 5... that's when we can start thinking about adding fish?

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Tanz - basically: yes. BUT, I would wait until you have had those water parameters for at least 2 to 3 weeks, before adding the 1st fish. And when you DO add fish, you should think carefully of what fish you want to add.
    Think of what type of tank you want to keep. And also think/ask about fish compatibility. Not all marine fish can be kept together - as some fish might fight and kill each other, while others might just not eat or get enough food from a new tank - and wither away and die.....
    There are some hardy fish that end up becoming terrorists in our tanks - so, these might also be a no-no to add.....

So - when you ready - ask away.....

11. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

welcome to MASA SA's Best marine Site :peroni:

12. martinhal

martinhal

Welcome :bigthumbup: please share some tank and equipment details and size.

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I see you joined in Jan, if I didn't welcome you before, then welcome to MASA :)
    Just for some extra info incase you missed it, read the link in my signature

:wave2:

14. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

It's best to let the water settle for at least 24 hours (3-4 days would be better) to allow all chemical reactions to complete and reach equilibrium - e.g. the water's pH could change quite a lot during the first day after it was mixed, and you do not want to run the risk of killing any of the "life" in the live rock.

I would suggest that you increase the salinity to a SG of between 1.025 and 1.026 at 25°C-27°C, as that is the natural salinity of sea water. By the way, how did you measure the SG? Please make sure that whatever instrument you are using has been calibrated accurately, as MANY of the plastic "hydrometers" and even some refractometers are pretty inaccurate.

Yes, but only after these readings have remained like that for about a month...

Hennie

15. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

you to post pic now dude ;)

16. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

Recent Posts