Help needed

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Beginner, 13 Jun 2012.

1. Beginner

Beginner

Good Morning
    We've just purchased our new tank Boyu tank and were given fresh Sea water from LPS, and live Rock, our tank has been running for 10 days already, and yeterday were given 2 hermit crabs and two starfish (i think its called Bat starfish) and two snails, all taken from tidal pool at the beach. So in they went, i know we supposed to wait 3 weeks before doing anything.
    But now i think we should test our water and see if everything is ok, as we dying to put fish in. Its for our daughter who wants a nemo like tank, with Nemo's, dory, etc.

We dont know much abt this, except that we bought the tank, and the water and live rock and the LPS said to come back in 3 weeks with water to get it tested and he will tell us where to go from there.

I was wandering if anyone could give us advise on what to do, what not to do and what is the best test kit to buy. I phoned the lps now and they said they have a few test kits, so i dont know which one to buy.

Also as my husband says, we were given the water from the lps so it should be cycled already or is that silly thinking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tank.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome ! Great to have a new member on board .

You have quite a few questions there , best would be to read up a bit on starting marine tanks (there are a few good threads in the beginners section)

Although you received "cycled" water , your rocks , substrate etc will still undergo a cycle and as such dont add anything until you are measuring stable paramaters.

You can hasten the cycle a bit through using bacterial additives in order to establish the biological filtration inside your tank

As for test kits....a thousand test kits out there and a thousand opinions. For price I prefer Salifert range , for accuracy I prefer kits using titration method of testing such as the new Red Sea range

Good luck and ask as many questions as you like

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Hi and welcome...You need to let the tank cycle for about 6-8 weeks to get it fully settled so you dont land up with problems later on down the road...this time period gives beneficial bacteria in the tank time to multiply...read up on the Nitrogen cycle for more info on this. As Frans has stated the rock and substrate are your main areas that need to go through the cycle...there isnt theoretically such a thing as "cycled" water.

All I can say is read as much as you can get your hands on at these early stages especially with a small nano system where things can go wrong very quickly if you dont know what you are doing. While waiting for the tank to cycle take the time to browse the forum learn about what livestock you can keep in the tank and how to care for it etc.

Again as Frans stated there are many test kits out there for different aspects of reefkeeping, some you wont have to worry about at this stage, but for now look into ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and possibly phosphate test kits as these are things you will need to monitor in your tanks early days.

Ps. Dory will not fit in that tank its too small. ;)

Last edited: 13 Jun 2012
  5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!
    Once again, good info given by Frans
    Can you post a pic of the snails you collected. Some of the local snails do not do well at elevated temps and may also be predatory.

6. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Hi and welcome to MASA. Go through the forum section, a lot of good advice available. Patience and a lot of research is a must. Even the most experienced reefers are still learning everyday.

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

8. Beginner

Beginner Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, i've read most of those article's already, been reading on this website for abt 2 weeks now, but thanks for all the advise... Really upset now that i cant keep Dory in my tank!!! But anyway, just wanted to ask, we obviously haven't waited the 4-6 weeks period, and we have 2 of snails, hermit crabs and bat starfish, how does this affect our cycle period? Should we take them out and wait for the full period?

Tks

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I think you should be alright, a lot of people add the clean up crew (snails, hermits, etc) to the tank after the first couple of weeks of the cycle without issues. The main reason you need to wait so long as I stated before is once the bacteria has built up enough to eliminate any ammonia or nitrite build up in the tank it still needs to get to numbers that will cope with the removal of waste from livestock added to the system...clean up crew critters dont really put much strain on the system in this regard so they are generally ok to place in the tank a bit before fish etc.

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Welcome to MASA and this exciting hobby .... Excellent advice given above by members just one thing concerns me is the question you asked .... While waiting for the tank to be cycled, will the snails, crabs and starfish be sharing a room with your'll or the children:lol: .... Jokes aside remember the golden rule about livestock thats been in your tank ..... Its illegal to put livestock back into the ocean once its in your care .... You never know what they might carry back to the ocean and wipeout lifeforms that have not built up their defences against "whatever" ..... So with that in mind your cleanup crew just has to weather the storm and survive ......

11. Beginner

Beginner Thread Starter

some excellent advise and excellent articles to read, thank you.
    We went yesterday and had our water tested just to make sure we are on the right track... and seems we still at the beginning of our cycle, our Amonia was 0.25 and Nitrite 0, but salt was 1015, which i know the limit is 1025, how do we get our salt up?
    Also, we went to a different marine shop and were told we could get chemicals that could skip the cycle, and within 2 days we could put fish in... i didn't catch the name of it, but seems crazy to skip the cycle, surely this cycle would then happen at a later stage once your tank is stocked then which would be disasterous.. We decided best to wait, but just wandered if anyone knew anything abt this?

Not sure if i was supposed to start new thread or continue on this one?
    Thanks so much
    P.S - you were right 459B, the snails died yesterday and marine shop, said we had the wrong snails! Point taken, only purchase from qualified marine shop and i know even then you not guaranteed, as they would sell you anything i guess.

12. 459b

You can shorten the cycle by adding various bacterial supplements BUT you need to know what you doing and keep a close eye on parameters. It also helps also need to start with cured liverock. If you just starting out it is best to wait out the cycle, as things can go very wrong very quickly when you start taking shortcuts. And you can use the waiting period to get used to your tank, sort out any design faults and carefully plan what livestock you want to add.

13. 459b

Im guessing the low salinity killed the snails. You can collect some snails locally, i have had some in my tank for over a year now without any problems.

14. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

hi and welcometomasa

my 2c is that as a beginner ,stick to all the rules and regulations as to startup marines, dont make any impulsive buys as marines is pricey and you wana do everything right as to save you some $$$$ ... there are unlimited possibilities with a tl550, just use the search bar and type boyu tl550 and existing users with a tl550 will pop up and u can use them as references when setting up ur tank, read there threads,follow there successes and watchout for their mistakes

good luck,keep us posted on progress and lotsa pics, we love pics

ps.with all due respect to sponsors... you as a newbie,please bear in mind that lfs's are mostly sales driven and will sell you just about anything to make a buck out of you,always try to consult masa with any enquiries bout purchases,we will always try our best to steer you in the best direction

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Jun 2012
  15. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Welcome to MASA

You have been given great advice here already. Just take things slow. To raise your sg you can either top up with salt water or you can do a few water changes with your sg at the required level. That way you will raise your sg. As @Kunhardt said,a dory requires a bigger tank than th tl550. Have a look through some of the tl550 members threads. some awesome ones on here. my favourites are @mandarinman , @Mc , @Len . theyve got some awesome setups.

Just take your time and sort out your water parameters,do research on what you would like to keep in the long run,soft corals,sps,lps, fish etc etc. Then do research on what you want before even going to a lfs to get something. I would add some bacteria like stability to your tank. it helps with the cycle. but I would still stick out the cycle period as you give your tank time to mature and in that time you will know a lot of valuable info and also know more or less what you would like to stock your tank with.

Have you added or taken anything out from your back compartments?

As for test kits,I like salifert. they are affordable and accurate.

Keep the pics and updates coming and good luck with this amazing hobby :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Beginner

Beginner Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
    Charl - Thanks, i've looked at those profile, amazing, and your tank too! Awesome.
    No i haven't added or changed anything to back compartments, should I?

So upset still that we cant get Dory!!!!

17. Mc

Mc

Don't be upset about dorrey there are so many other cool small fish out there.
    Dorrey will be so stressed out and full of white spot and disease, it won't last long in this tank.

You just have to have patience with marine tanks, the cycle is very important.

18. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

thank you.

There are a few things that you might want to consider changing. like the big black sponge,you can replace it with filter floss that you can change every third day or so,its easier than rinsing the big sponge. If you have still got bio balls and ceramic rings,I would replace them with some chemical filtration like purigen,phosguard(there are some other good nutrient/po4 removers out there but i dont have experience with those) you can also run carbon once in a while for a few days. will take out some impurities from your water.

in my chambers from the right ive got
    chamber 1 - filter floss which I replace every 3rd day,my heater
    chamber 2 - skimmer
    chamber 3 - chaeto,phosguard,purigen
    chamber 4 - 2 return pumps. one returning water back to chamber 1 and the other returning water back to my display.

this works for me! but every tank is different.

You can also consider adding another flow pump on the other side of your tank so you can get some nice random flow and less detritus settlement as detritus will increase your nutrients.

As @Mc said,there are some really nice fish out there that is suitable for our tanks. just do proper research on a fish before you add it.its a mission to catch a fish once your tank is stocked with live rock and corals.

your off to a good start.!!

19. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

thank you.

There are a few things that you might want to consider changing. like the big black sponge,you can replace it with filter floss that you can change every third day or so,its easier than rinsing the big sponge. If you have still got bio balls and ceramic rings,I would replace them with some chemical filtration like purigen,phosguard(there are some other good nutrient/po4 removers out there but i dont have experience with those) you can also run carbon once in a while for a few days. will take out some impurities from your water.

in my chambers from the right ive got
    chamber 1 - filter floss which I replace every 3rd day,my heater
    chamber 2 - skimmer
    chamber 3 - chaeto,phosguard,purigen
    chamber 4 - 2 return pumps. one returning water back to chamber 1 and the other returning water back to my display.

this works for me! but every tank is different.

You can also consider adding another flow pump on the other side of your tank so you can get some nice random flow and less detritus settlement as detritus will increase your nutrients.

As @Mc said,there are some really nice fish out there that is suitable for our tanks. just do proper research on a fish before you add it.its a mission to catch a fish once your tank is stocked with live rock and corals.

your off to a good start.!!

20. roderigo

roderigo

masahellowelcometomasawelcometomasa. I think you guys are moving a bit to fast and you should try to read more about this great hobby :)

Last edited: 16 Jun 2012
Recent Posts