Help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ccwilke, 3 Jun 2012.

1. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

Hi guys I bought myself this beautifull coral a week ago.Placed inside my tank but it doesn't seem to open up like it used to in the pet shop's tank?

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wes

Wes

Not 100% sure here, but the first question that you're going to be asked, is what are your water parameters? What are you feeding? If you are feeding? And what sort of light conditions are available?

More info you provide the better we may be able to assist.
    ;)

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

Looks like a goniopora. Its not an easy coral to keep and requires good water quality, high lighting ans medium flow. I would say treat it like a sps except for the high flow.

5. ccwilke

ccwilke Thread Starter Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

Hi I have a bitt of a problem with my nitrates at the moment that I know,my lights are two T5 tubes 08H00 hours a day and at night blue led's,I am feeding Aquavitro Reef fuel andBrightwell Aquatics Reef Snow.

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

you would need around 6-8 T5's .. Stop dosing fuel. Only dose in a low nutrient system and only at 1/4 the recommended dose. Its pretty potent stuff. What filtration do you have running?

7. vincentputter

vincentputter I love Nayn cat!

Goniopora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Care

Goniopora are a very difficult coral to keep alive and are not recommended for a novice reef aquarium hobbyist. The short, greenish-colored species are less sturdy and durable than the pink or purple species. However, it is very seldom that any of these will survive more than three months. Many precautions must be taken to raise Goniopora. First, they require moderate to high lighting, depending on species. They must also have some water movement so their polyps can move freely. However, it should not be directed right at the polyps or the movement might be too vigorous. The water temperature must remain between 77 and 84 °F (25 and 29 °C). There must be adequate amounts of calcium and iron in the tank to help skeletal development. Placement in the tank is also crucial. They must be well positioned on a sturdy rock to avoid damaging falls. When placing Goniopora they must have enough room to grow and move their tentacles. Goniopora should be monitored for shriveling after being moved to a new tank to make sure they are getting enough sunlight.
    Feeding

Goniopora are avid feeders susceptible to death from nutritional deficiencies. There are many different ways to feed Goniopora. For example, they can be directly fed with a syringe (avoiding a hard, straight flow into the polyps or that triggers them to close up) or food can be sprinkled on the top of the tank and let to reach the Goniopora on its own. However, direct feeding seems to work best. Alternately, plankton can be placed in the tank with all filtration systems off so the food does not get swept away. The filters should be turned back on after one to two hours to keep the tank clean and livable for all of the creatures. Goniopora need foods high in manganese and iron.
    Fragging

Goniopora grow daughter cells in a type of asexual reproduction called fragging. The mother corals have wounds from the daughter corals that usually heal up in about two weeks. The daughter corals grow about 1 millimeter a month. Some scientists suggest that the daughter Goniopora live inside cells of the mother coral before breaking out and growing on their own
    Issues

There are many issues that go along with keeping Goniopora. The first one is that it is very hard to locate and buy, especially the red species. Goniopora may grow in murky or clear water depending on the species. Because different species have such different requirements, it adds to the challenge of keeping them alive.

8. ccwilke

Thanks for all the help guys I have been taken for a ride,before I bought it I asked the pet shop is it difficult to keep and he said no it's not.

9. vincentputter

vincentputter I love Nayn cat!

My one friend had the pink one for +- 4 months and It never even opened so he gave It away. I'm surprised that It didn't die of hunger.

10. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited: 4 Jun 2012
  11. crispin

crispin

the other thing that concerns me with that coral is it seems very light in colour and may be slightly bleached, although that could be due to the photograph as much as anything.

i would suggest placing that coral on the reef (well secured) mid way to fairly high up depending on the light you have available. the flow for goni's seems to be criticle and the ones I have seen that do the best have been under wave action as opposed to internal pumps. You could aim two pumps towards each other and directed at the GLASS infront of the coral so that there is chaotic water movement infront of it.

You could also look at feeding with small amounts of cytopleze or small grained foods like that. I would feed the rest of the tank first, especially the fish, and then use a syringe to blow food into the water current slightly upstream of the coral so that it drifts over it. Dont blast it with food in a direct application as it will close.

thats a beautiful coral, if you get it to feed and survive it will be an asset to any tank:)

PS go back to that LFS and tell them to stop lying to you!

12. the fish

the fish

went to ccwilke the other day to go and check on the coral. it went open from the very start and then all of the sudden the drop.. quite sad because it is such a beautyful specimen.. sterkte my maat. sal more n draai by jou kom maak en n bier of wat knak.

13. ccwilke

Went to Exotic Pets in Boksburg yesterday and they gave me Tropic Marin Pro Coral Zooton to feed this fellow,I hope it will work,also added carbon to my filter

14. the fish

the fish

is it looking any better since i saw it yesterday?

Recent Posts