Help needed with sump

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dikdaan, 7 Jun 2010.

1. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Ola, how you all?

I am setting up my second tank:) and need some help here...The sump is 1.22m long with 4 chambers, one for skimmer, one for LR, one for DSB and one for return...
    1. How deep does the DSB sand need to be cause i read a hundred different stuff on it...?
    2. Does the amount of LR in the sump matter? I can get bout 15kg in there...
    3. Light on the DSB? What to use? Also heard various stuff bout it...

More questions will follow later...
    Thanks all

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

A DSB works best using very fine rounded shape sand grains at a depth of 12-15cm to ensure anairobic activity (low to no oxygen zones)
    Live rock is fine, just make sure you don't get detritus settlement in that compartment.
    You only need a light over the DSB if you keep macro algae in there like caulerpa or chaetomorpha. If you have the sand only, no light needed.
    I use 2 x 11w daylight or cool white globes(5500 to 6500 kelvin) over my chaeto and it grew fairly well. Some guys use stronger like 20w and even down lighters.

Singularity likes this.
  4. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Thanks tobes, i will be using aragonite for the DSB... Was just not sure about the depth required for it. I will put some Cheato on the DSB to help the system as it is working for the first system...
    How do you suggest i prevent the detris forming in the LR compartment?

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Daan - that design sounds good. The only thing that I would like to suggest, is that you make your DSB section the biggest section, else the DSB might not perform satisfactory.
    I would rather make a "suspension" section with egg-crate and PVC piping, for the live rock, that is suspended ABOVE the DSB, rather than having a complete seperate section for the live rock. In this case, you can then maximize the sizing in the 1.2 meter sump for the DSB use.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree with Jacques on this if you can still modify the sump. BIGGER IS BETTER!!!!

If you cannot modify sump like mentioned above, then you can put a small pump inside that live rock compartment to keep the detritus from settling, it will also create some flow through and around the LR.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For a DSB, playsand is just as good as aragonite, only a hell of a lot cheaper.

My DSB is about 800 by 600mm by 150mm deep. If I used aragonite, that would have been the end of the budget alocated to the tank.

Just wash the playsand properly. Check out garden center like Newlands garden center. R40 about for a bag you cannot pick up. (well I could not lift it out my car boot...:))

Singularity likes this.
  8. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

The sump is already build...So cannot change it, but can make the LR compartment a Refigium maybe...What you think?

The reason i am using aragonite is beacause i got 3 bags for @ R100 each so got it at a massive bargain... Ill post some sump pics tom

9. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

I have put a couple of hermit crabs in my sump one in the live rock section, another in the return and one in the sediment trap.

They clean up all bits and pieces perfectly.
    No need to syphon off the sump sections.

10. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Hey dikdaan, can you get me some aragonite at that price also? i'm dying to get hold of that stuff

11. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

I will see for what price i can get some now...Will let you know, this i actually bought of a lady who just bought everything for her tank and never setup and sold all...

Recent Posts