Urgent help needed Help needed with stressed ocellaris clownfish!!!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Mrclownynennie, 4 Aug 2013.

1. Mrclownynennie

Mrclownynennie

Hi,guys I need help I have recently got a young ocellaris clownfish.The day I added him he was fine and went straight to the bottom we he found a rock to sit by.The entire time he was there.So the next day we moved the rock just to see where he was,he then just sstayed there.Then after coming back after a while I see he found a new place to sit in one of the holes in my rocks.He then stayed there the entire day until the afternoon he then started swimming as fast as he could to the top of the tank and swam up down swimming against the glass.He then would spin in circles and ram into the glass on any side of the tank!Help!My tank is 86L and is cycled with kenyan liverock.I have cascade 300 filter running GAC and odyssea amonia sponge remover.Then I have a boyu WG-310 protein skimmer that is doing a really good job so far!I have been using Red sea salt.My water tempreature is at 26 degrees celcius.Another thing I turned of the cascade 300 due to it making him swim more violently.Please some one help!!!! :blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane G

Dane G

What are your water test figures?

I always use stress guard from seachem when adding or moving fish, calms them down and is a antiseptic try turning your lights off see if he settles, I have heard of clowns doing what you are describing and it doesn't end well, let's hope he was just spooked and settles down

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  4. crispin

crispin

it sounds to me like the fish might be stressing due to reflection off the glass or from things he can see in the room. what other fish are in the tank? is it a new tank, and if so how long has it been running?

turning off the tank lights should help calm the fish and also try not check on him too close to the tank. If you have corals and light dependant organisms then turning off the tank lights too long isnt going to help them, but a few hours of light a day would be fine for a short term period while the fish settles in.

The fact that he is swimming hard and fast against glass is often indicative of the fish not havinga safe place to hide (a coral, a hole in the rock, a nennie etc) and thus is feeling threatened. having other fish (whioch are calm) should help him, or else next time he settles down near a rock just let him stay there a while untill he feels safe enough to go explore his tank and familiarise himself with it. Its vitally important for reef fish to have a place to hide when predators threaten and he is just lost wiythout a place to hide (i think!)

5. CheriS

CheriS

Maybe he needs a buddy.

6. Mrclownynennie

Mrclownynennie Thread Starter

Thanks guys his doing much better.I turned of the light did a water change.He has stopped swimming into the glass and swimming around like an olympic swimmer he has returned back to his trusty hole in the rock and is happily chilling their.Turned the light back on and he explored a bit and returned back to his hole doing much better now!Thanks all for the help.Thanks @crispin for those pointers he now has a bolt hole and the tank has been up and running for 4 months and fully cycled.Thanks again:)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts