Help needed with dying sponge

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A couple of weeks ago I read a thread on the demise of a blue sponge and I'm sure somebody advised that it was better to remove the sponge from the tank as it would play havoc with the water parameters.

My question is I have an orange sponge that is slowly wasting away and my water parameters have started going wonky (especially the nitrates). Does the same advice apply to the orange sponge as the blue sponge?

Al

Reaction score
Hi Ted, best to remove the sponge. I had athe same problem with the Blue sponge of mine. Took a couple of weeks for my tank to recover from the blue psonge poisen.

Reaction score
No problem. Check your water parameters a.s.a.p after removing the sponge. Run some activated carbon and take the neccessary action i.e additional water changes etc if relevant.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
so beautiful and still not much known about them.. id remove it as id rather loose it than risk the whole tank...

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
The thing about sponges is they MUST NOT come into contact with air. Air bubbles gets trapped inside causing the sponge to die. When they die, they can and will take the whole tank with them.
Did you buy it? The sad thing is we don't know whether it was handled correctly from the supplier to the petshop, if it came into contact with air or not. So even if you did everything right, from acclimatizing it for 4-6hours and keeping it under water, it can still die - sponges ship very poorly :(