Help needed with Acro

Mekaeel

Reaction score
howzit reef gurus.take a look at the pic and please tell me whats going on here.notice the tips of the SPS are bleached.the coral is place high up for the last 2-3 weeks since i got him and has only been showing these signs in the lst 2-3 days.should i move him down to recover?
water parameters are fine
No2 - 0
ph - 8.0-8.3
no3 - <5
alk - 7 still bringing it up to around 9
ca - 420
mg - 1300
sg - 1.025

damagedSPS.jpg

Mekaeel I am not a guru i am sure you know that but here is my thought's
Could be STN slow tissue necrosis.
This could happen for a number of reasons.
One of witch is the differance from the holding tanks, to your's, as in lighting and water param's.
I am sure you know all this allready.

One of the article's i read recently highlighted on lighting with regards to sps and sales there of. I think it was a uk article will look for it i know i saved the link.
What is the cause, they attributed a delay in the necrosis to shock and the coral trying to acclimatise to its new enviroment but slowly loosing the battle. Hence the delayed necrosis. I am not saying that youre system is not ideal all i am saying is that maybe the coral just could not acclimitise fast enough to regain its strength and start thriving.

Good luck i hope you win this one.

yeah i do agree about the STN.probably just a sensitive coral as compared to the others.in terms of lighting,i dont think thats really the issue as it was previously placed under a 250W MH.water parameters are fine and acclimatization was done the same as the orther corals that were placed in at the same time as this piece

That's looks like a predator to me.

Sneak up to the tank at 3am with a red flashlight. I'm sure the culprit will have plenty legs and a couple of claws ;)

If it is a crab, which it looks like to me then the coral will be fine when you get the crab out. It will keep coming back to it. You don't really need to dip it at this stage.

Live rock bandit.

Could also be light. If you look at the other polyp tips they mostly seem to have bleached area's similar in shape to the one's receding

i agree with DR predator dude, if it were bleaching it would be constant on all branches, if it were STN it would would have a starting point and move down and along, just my 2c

NO dude no where near that, move it YES, find the ***** and slowly kill it DEFINATELY!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
those pieces that are damaged will recover quick enough if more damage is not done, if you move it the monster might not be able find it so soon

Back
Top Bottom