Help Needed - Sump Design

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JS, 2 Sep 2012.

1. JS

JS

Hi All

I am in the process of having a 1.5m built, but have now come to a point were I am very confused.

DSB or no DSB?

I come from a boyu TL 550, where the only filtration was my live rock, substrate and my skimmer....besides from that I ran purigen and dosed bacteria....and I must say my TL550 is damn nice....no nitrate issues etc.

So, my question is if I dont go the DSB route, what are my options....i really dont like the look of DSB....:(

For the new tank I already have:

Reef Octopus 160 Skimmer
    Skimz FM 100 media reactor.

I was thinking inlet chamber for skimmer, into another chamber/refugium....with maybe a couple of pieces decent rock, cheato and culerpa, into a chamber for reactors, maybe purigen and phosguard/carbon etc....into outlet chamber.....am I missing something? Will this work?

How do guys that dont run DSB do it?

Sorry for all the questions.....

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dillan

Dillan

4. Henkie

Henkie

That can work.

My sump is 1.8m, first chamber just the skimmer and a filter sock, then a chamber with live rock and macro algae and then my return chamber.

But I plan to stock lightly

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The only reason for the sand instead of liverock is that sand offers a lot more surface area for bacteria to live on than sand. And liverock cannot provide the anaerobic deeper sections unless you got soccer ball or bigger pieces of liverock. Plus, its a lot cheaper than R100 plus per kg rock. I would rather place that expensive rock in my display tank.

Under a 1.5m tank, you can easily have a DSB that is at least 900mm long. A nice big area for pods etc. I like the water level above the sand to be deep, at least 200mm. Mine is 250mm. A lot of space for refugium on top of the sand, with a couple of smaller liverock pieces as sleeping quarters for pods and worms.

Else, you can go the NP reactor route. No LFS will advice against that, because they can make some money from that, nothing if you buy playsand from the garden centre. You in PE, can even use real sea sand. That is for free. Yes, it will cycle exactly the same as liverock. But its free and natural.

6. Dillan

Dillan

If one has the space for both sump "types" under your tank would the NP reactor route work against a DSB or work together on different levels? What I am asking is could one run two sumps if you had the space or would it be a waste of time and money?

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Do a search on MASA, tons of reading in here, all your questions will be answered.:biggrin:

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yip, read up. They do work against each other.
    NP-reactor takes up to 6 weeks to be completely active. A DSB can take to 12 weeks to mature, but that does depends on the startup and if you seeded it.

9. FLATFISH

FLATFISH

In My opinion the less place for muck to collect the better!

I would go and buy a nitrate reducer ( AM CAUSE i LOVE THE BRAND). Alot of people will tell you DSB and so on but from my experience it is alot easier! if you over feed it does not really matter and you can feed a bit extra to make sure every one including those shy eaters get to eat to!

:thumbup:

Recent Posts