Help needed - Skimmer pump

Reaction score
I have a reef octopus classic 200int. The pump on it is the otp2000. The pump runs for maybe 15 minutes, then trips the earth leakage. If you try and run it again immediately, it will still trip the breaker. However if you leave it for around 15-30 minutes, it will then run for around 15-20 minutes.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and if so, do you know of a solution. Is there any way to have the pump serviced/repaired. I honestly don't have the money to replace the skimmer right now. What are my options to replace the pump if I have to?

Any and all help, advice and comments welcome.

Reaction score
@byronsn - i had the same issue, the power cable that goes into the pump was my problem, it was were the cable and the pump body meets, could barely see the kink in the cable

Marine Tech

Marine Tech
Reaction score
I have a reef octopus classic 200int. The pump on it is the otp2000. The pump runs for maybe 15 minutes, then trips the earth leakage. If you try and run it again immediately, it will still trip the breaker. However if you leave it for around 15-30 minutes, it will then run for around 15-20 minutes.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and if so, do you know of a solution. Is there any way to have the pump serviced/repaired. I honestly don't have the money to replace the skimmer right now. What are my options to replace the pump if I have to?

Any and all help, advice and comments welcome.
Send us a WhatsApp maybe we can help you 0724644333

Reaction score
@byronsn - i had the same issue, the power cable that goes into the pump was my problem, it was were the cable and the pump body meets, could barely see the kink in the cable
Was there a solution to the problem besides replacing the pump? Is there a way to open the pump?

Reaction score
Was there a solution to the problem besides replacing the pump? Is there a way to open the pump?
sorry bud, i tried everything to seal the part that was kinked, could not get it to work, replaced the skimmer

Marine Tech

Marine Tech
Reaction score
Well there is a choice of opening the pump or check the cord. Send WhatsApp 0724644333

Reaction score
Well there is a choice of opening the pump or check the cord. Send WhatsApp 0724644333
Most pumps are sealed units. And when it comes to pumps that are constantly submerged, don’t fool around. Electricity can kill. Just replace the pump.

Reaction score
Just contact some sponsers on te page for assistance on a new pump. @Ali3n should actually be able to assist from a used pump perspective

Reaction score
I would just fit a SP2000 and the Std Venturi very good pumps and just keep going. Can run internal or external.
Hi thanks for the advice. Do you happen to know if it fits the standard fittings or would I have to modify a bit? Also, will the flow rates be right? The skimmer is oversized for my tank.

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the advice. Do you happen to know if it fits the standard fittings or would I have to modify a bit? Also, will the flow rates be right? The skimmer is oversized for my tank.
Normally they come with a fitting with a thread so you might need to do a little mod to fit, not rocket science at all. I have changed my Reef Octopus Classic to a SP2000 and it skims like a beast now, and consider the price, good value for money.

Reaction score
Normally they come with a fitting with a thread so you might need to do a little mod to fit, not rocket science at all. I have changed my Reef Octopus Classic to a SP2000 and it skims like a beast now, and consider the price, good value for money.
thanks. have ordered the pump already. will figure out the mods once it arrives.

Reaction score
PM me your number and I will send you pics and telephonic help you, I am just not available tomorrow as I am in hospital for a special scan of pancreas

Top Bottom