Help Needed on LED Watt and T5 Watt

Reaction score
Hi all

can some one explain to me.

For example T5 Quad 54W, total is 216W unit
Led unit 120cm 180W

Except the tube changes then a T5 unit will be better than a Led unit as per light output. Red somewhere here the ATI or Giessemann Tubes can be change on 18 months.

What to choose?

Or is there a difference between LED watt output and T5 output. Not speaking of PAR/PUR. Normal Aquarium T5 tubes not house hold tubes.

How would you explain it to me to understand better.

a watt is a watt, its a measure of power consumption
its all about PAR, PUR and depth penetration, which is related to optics and quatity of LEDS/Lamps

As dallas says, a watt is a watt and is 'watt' eskom charges you for. What comes into play is the efficiency for a device to use this watt. So some devices are more efficient in using the same amount of watts. For e.g light source 1 needs 10W to produce 700lm (lux) of light and another light source may require 13W to also produce 700lm (lux) thus light source 1 being more efficient.

That lumens can be complexly converted into the usable aspect of light (PAR and PUR) which is important to us dallas mentioned.

Last edited:
you would have to look at the manufacturers site, each will have their own rating and efficiency, there is no standard that 54w will make ex amount.

as an example we first got T8 tubes, then got T5 HO (high output), then along came T5 VHO (very high output), then there is also MH, LED etc...

basically what you want to look for is lumens per watt, the higher the lumen the better the lamp

thanks @RiaanP
I search the net for Lm on reefteks and found nothing. the LED unit I can get for a 130cm tank is 180W (3w each led) with 9000Lm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom