Help needed for ich

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Marthinette, 20 Sep 2016.

1. Marthinette

Marthinette

I have a 60 L Boyu tank, it's been running for three months. I introduced hermit crabs first, then a whitespotted goby and polyps. A bicolor blenny and chromus was added two weeks ago. There is also a sponge of some sort that came with the rock. In the past few days ich appeared.
    I raised the temperature to 24.5 and added one dose metroplex.
    Please advise on best way forward...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Raised the temp from what? I run my tank at 26

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

4. Marthinette

Marthinette Thread Starter

I had it at 23.5

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

5. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

No expert but wonder if that could contribute to the stress.

@RiaanP

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

6. Jacojs

Jacojs

@Marthinette your temp seems a bit low but I also cant say if that contributes to the stress of the fish. Can you post some photos of your fish? ICH is sometimes misdiagnosed and with photos the guys and gals here will better ID the problem.

If it is ICH you will have to remove all the fish and Quarintine them, do @RiaanP bucket transfer method and after the bucket transfer method keep them in quarintine for another 6 weeks to be sure they are ICH free.

Here is Riaan's bucket transfer method http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/bucket-method-quarantine.28552/

Here is a video I made when I did it, I did not document EVERY transfer because who wants to see the same thing 8 times? Hope the video helps.
    My clowns were in QT for total 11 weeks! Scroll down to post #72 http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/quarintine.66219/page-4

You will also have to leave your DT without any fish for 2months if I remember correctly to be sure all ICH parasites have died, they die when there are no hosts(Fish)

Dont be discouraged by this, it is a bit of work and a lot of patience but it really pays off in the end.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2016
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Marine ich and freshwater ich is different. Freshwater ich do not like higher temperatures, above 24 and you are winning the battle. Marine ich strive at above 24. Do harm marine ich you need to go above 30 degrees. And stand a change to loose corals and a lot more due to the excessive heat. Adjusting temperature is not the best option to combat marine ich.

However, you can use this information to your advantage. You can speed up the live cycle of marine ich by pushing the temperature to 26 - 28 range. So while your tank is running without fish, push up the temperature. As ich sits on the fish 3 to 7 days, you can use temperature to speed up the live cycle to get it done and over with.

8. Marthinette

Marthinette Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advise. Plans for now: i will buy a small tank and use it as a quarantine tank, dosing with Metroplex. Will keep the fish in their for at least a month. Will have to do water changes every three days.
    The main tank will be running without livestock for a week. Then i will add invertebrates (crab, cleaner shrimp, snail) and leave for another 6 weeks.
    Does that sound feasible and will it help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Dexter

Dexter

Metroplex will help to a certain extend but to get rid of everything the only way is with copper. Or Riaan bucket method.

Recent Posts