Help me stock my nano tank!

Reaction score
I got back from a 3 week trip to the states and my tank isn't lookin too bad! (thanks to mike Bushie for doing water changes for me)

However, my two ocellaris clowns absolutely drilled my hammer coral (all heads dead, luckily the stalks are budding so the torch will be back) - my torch was looking alright even though they were hosting it constantly.

Anyway I decided to take those two clowns to the LFS (they're the two dark coloured specimens in VIP northgate if anyone is interested) - paired for 6 months now.

I picked up a flameback pygmy angel fish - awesome specimen!

So my stocking list is looking like this:

128L Nano tank:
1 Sixline Wrasse (not had any aggression from this guy, wasn't bothered at all when introducing the new angel)
1 Bicolour Blenny (Unfortunately quite a timid guy so only see him every so often and at feeding time)
1 Flameback Pygmy Angel (Jumping bean - very active inspecting all the liverock)

Total of 3 fish. I'd like more, just not sure what I could add? I've read loads (and even posted regarding fish suitable for a nano tank) but i'd like to get peoples opinions on what they'd buy. Any suggestions - please post! Many thanks

How about a few of the Square Anthias?

Anthias need loads of food, and Matt is really tight on his feeding regime :p

and they are small, i think 3.5cm max?
just double check, maybe get 3 as the are small fish with a low bioload.
not sure if you can have more than 1, double check that aswell

Yes! I had a pair of purple firefish (again this is not recommended as they are said to be the most aggressive of that species and many advise to keep only a single specimen in a tank) but my two got on great together! I just got a bit bored of stationary fish so I did sell them to a fellow reefer :)

Well at the moment i've just got 3 fish so I might just end up keeping a low bioload and going overboard with coral :)

Yes! I had a pair of purple firefish (again this is not recommended as they are said to be the most aggressive of that species and many advise to keep only a single specimen in a tank) but my two got on great together! I just got a bit bored of stationary fish so I did sell them to a fellow reefer :)

Well at the moment i've just got 3 fish so I might just end up keeping a low bioload and going overboard with coral :)

That sounds like an awesome idea, but remember fish poo, is coral food.

Warr: Yeah I know. Well if i'm going to add anything else I should do it soon (before the sixline and pygmy angel get territorial)

just not sure what to add!

That sounds like an awesome idea, but remember fish poo, is coral food.

In a large tank that may be true, but in a nano, it is suicide to overstock.
Can you get chalk bass in SA?

(Serranus tortugarum) you could get two or three, they only get to around 1.5inches and look pretty cool.

Chalk Bass

I will be getting a half dozen for my tank, they look really cool, the pics don't do them justice.

Back
Top Bottom