Help me plan my new tank please?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 8 May 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys

I told you I wouldn't be out too long... Already paid about 60% of the wedding (imagine wat tank I could've had with that money :lol::lol::lol:!!!!!)

Anyway, went to my LFS yesterday, they have a stunnig tank on special for me, it is 1000 x 500 x 500 open top, with a surface skimmer / overflow at the back, thus skimming the entire length of the tank. It the has two outlets - one into the sump and the other directly into the skimmer. It comes with the stand, and is 10mm glass, for R2000.00 (stunning tank!!!)

Anyway, this time I want to do PLENTY of planning beforehand. I know exactly how I will do my scaping - but that I will keep to myself...:razz: I am planning to run 6x 39W Geisemann T5's on it, on 5 timers, thus enabling me to do a daybreak, midday and sunset type of setting. Again, as some of you might know, I am a huge Anemone fan, so I want to set the tank up from the beginning to keep one. I will wait or look for it, but I want a rose bubble tip. With this, I will mostly have softies, with a monti or two. Basically I WILL have the following in the tank:

Mushrooms - plenty!!
    Pulsating Xenia - get fraggin Tony!!! ;)
    Star polyps - oh yes!!!
    Hammer Coral / Frogspawn
    Zoa
    Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
    Plating Montipora
    Sea fan
    Tubeworms

That will basically be it, I want to go for STUNNNG specimens that are extremely healthy rather than have a cristmas tree tank with mediocre stock in it.

I might be asking you a couple of questions / advice, so please bare with me.

First on the list is Flow - no powerheads with the Anemone:nono:. I have read the current threads on closed loop systems, so thanks for that. Just a question on flow: What is enough flow and what type should the flow be?

Enough: The reason I ask, is that some softies don't like to heave flow (mushrooms for example) yet others thrive in it (star polyps for example.)

Type: Some say random, some say chaotic, others say left to right waving current. All of these then requires their own equipment. Baring in mind that I'm going for a closed loop system, what type of flow should I create and how should the outlet direction be - also keeping in mind what I want to keep?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I hope you bought it, sounds like a great tank for a great price.

Are you definitely going for a closed loop system? Are you going to have the tank drilled?

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Hey Viper: If I don't have to drill it; no... Is there any alternatives to a CLS that will prevent my anemone from "nuking" my tank when it takes a stroll?

5. viper357

6. Jaco Schoeman

THANKS!!! I avtually had something like that in mind. I would just have two or three pipes running down into into the tank at the back, just to move the lower part of the water around a bit (with a syphon break of course ;).) The rest I'd run in with 45 degree bends, rather than these that splashes the water in - that might create heavy noise, splash and bubbles in the water. The only other adition is to run one or two of the outlets on a seperate / extended pipe, that can be adjusted with a valve.

That was my plan, not sure if it'd work though. What flow rate would you suggest the pump should be for a 1000 x 500 x 500 tank?

7. seank

seank

Only problem with this is that the flow out of the oulets are not the same, as the ones closest to the "inlet" is stronger than the ones further away- I have built one recently and had to install a 2nd pump on the "other" side

8. viper357

I think with a few modifications, like the ones you described, then that idea should work quite well. I would imagine you would need a rather large return pump to drive it though. With regards to flow rate I'm not really sure, rather wait for an opinion from someone else on that.

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

you could nennie proof the powerhead?

[​IMG]

10. Jaco Schoeman

The problem with the nennie proof setup, is that it clogs up in time. I am busy reading the link viper has given me, and thus far the author has a point when it comes to pheads vs this cls.

Sean, you mentioned the flow not being the same. I'm not sure how yours works, but this guy on the link says that if you close the loop as in the diagram, it helps to distribute the flow equally (I think in the same way that a sprinkler system works.) I just think the important factor here is the size of the pump, and a few valves.

11. seank

seank

Remember that a sprinkler works with pressure (same as the pumps), but, in a sprinkler system you basically "force"the water thru a small hole/s wheras on a closed loop system, the holes(outlets) are big, thus water just "flowing" out and not forced out. I have 02 closed loops in my tank- one at the bottom that I installed at the beginning stages of the tank, and one on top that I installed a few weeks back. On both I had the same problem wrt flow- the outlets closer to the pumps has stronger flow wheras the ones towards the middle has less flow, and if you restrict the outlets closer to the pumps, it helps, but it creates to much "forced"flow- almost like a powerhead with a small outlet

12. FransSny

FransSny

agreed with sean...what i have tried with SOME success is having 2 inlets into your CLS thus pushing "against" each other my 2C

13. Jaco Schoeman

That makes sense. What this author also mentions is to heat your outlet pipes, and then clamping them closed, to form a flatter outlet, creating water restriction. He says the issue then, is that all your outlets needs to be like that othersiwe you would have the effect that sean explained... Look, shean your tank is very big, but do you think on the tank I'm planning it would have such a huge impact?

An alternative that I thought about was to DIY a few jacuzzi jets in there. There is a specific jet that has three nozzles, and the water flowing through them makes them swivel and spin around in no specific manner. Wouldn't his create stunning chaotic water? even if you only had three - one left, one right and one smack in the middle of my 1m tank? Connect that to a CLS fed by a huge pump.

14. seank

seank

Like your Jacuzzi idea Jaco

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

I wud go with Seans idea...having two pumps one at either end pushing against each other

16. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Jaco ...brilliant idea, BUT...they need quite a powerfull pump to rotate, i catually wanted to drill the back of my tank to try this untill i tested , you could go for the directional nozzles rather and install a few of them, aiming them at each other the glass etc

17. Jaco Schoeman

Thanks Sean. I think I will also go with adding two pumps on each end of the CLS. Then I will build this jacuzzi jets in there, and just see how it works. I will not make it permanent at first, just to test it while I cycle. If it works well, I'll tell you guys. If not, I'll just take it out and us the thing we know that works. :)

18. Jaco Schoeman

I think not. The reason I say this, is we installed my dad's jacuzzi ourselves, and he has these jets in his jacuzzi. The pipes that feed these nozzles are just a tad thicker than air hose!!! I know, that sounds crazy!!! But its true... The pump used is about the size of the smallest swimming pool pump... The difference is, that swimming pool and jacuzzi pumps do well with volume, but not great with head.

Thus, I think if you connect these jets to a pump that has a nice head volume, it would work wonders.

But again, the proof will be in the pudding!!!

There is also a jet that has a silicone seal in it. What this does is it builds up random strenghts and then blasts it into the water in 'n pulsating action. This might also be something to look at.

19. FransSny

FransSny

thanks for the info Jaco, i used the same jets as my jacuzzi (bought from the same place) & they use quite a large diam hose thus maybe the reason for not working, let me know how it goes as i have been tinkering with a cheap solution for random flow since i got my first tank

I havent seen the silicone seal model...will have a look...sounds like a good idea especially if you could use it to periodically blast cr*p off your LR

also you could just buy a polario :whistling:

20. Jaco Schoeman

Yes you could, but a jacuzzi jet will not make a smoothie out of an anemone... ;)

I will however let you know how it works out...

21. FransSny

FransSny

Recent Posts