Help me help my Nennie

Reaction score
Hi guys

Long story... Scubaninja knows...:razz: But I got this anemone this weekend. Scubaninja was so nice as to ID it for me, as a Heteractis Crispa / Sebae Anemone. I saw on the pic that Scuba supplied it was also quite white. What would the experts feel: Is my Anemone bleached? Is it sick or does it look healthy. I would do ANYTHING to keep it alive, so please tell me what I must feed it, how often and how much at a time. Scuba already helped me on some lighting advice, so I will do that. I just want some more input if there are any out there.

1459499953f8cc29b.jpg

1459499953f946d84.jpg

You are going to need to target feed the nemmie to get him to colour up.

Also this species needs loads of light

bleaching - the removal of the zoothanthelae algae?

bleaching - the removal of the zoothanthelae algae?

That is correct.

Try place the nennie as high as possible to the lights. And target feed it every 3 odd day's (Lance fish will do) as this nennie is badly bleached, but healthy. He will get his color back so no worry's. Be lucky you didnt get a Retteri im still having a ongoing battle to get mine fully colored up from its bleached state when i bought it, however your species is also a hard one to maintain. And im not sure what lighting suggestions where made, but 4 T5's will be sufficient. Any questions ask.

PS: I checked now the bulbs are swolen, its trying to overcompensate for a lack of something (Most likely mentione above). The tentacles are ussually thin and stringy when they are happy.

How long has you tank been running now Jaco?

It is most definitely bleached
This is a quote from UltimateReef:

''The most commonly observed bleached anemone is Heteractis crispa. These animals arrive in your LFS an aesthetic white, but this is never their true colour; they should be a fawn/tan colour, or less commonly pink, green or silver/grey.''

A Short Begginers Guide to Anemone Keeping

So i was correct in my first assumption and so are you warr:thumbup:

I found this to be a very good read when you know nothing of the sort and helped me when i first started reading on them, remembered the thread a bit late i guess:whistling:

Those nennies are ALWAYS bleached white in the pet shops!!

Mine was also like that when I got it about 3 months ago, but it is slowly getting it's colour back.
At first it was half hidden from the lights being under a ledge, and just the part that was exposed turned Grey/brown. It then move a little further out and now it's almost all colored up. I also feed it about once a week with a little piece of prawn, which it grabs willingly.

Hi guys. Sorry for the late reply - had some two days of skull cracking training at work... Okey, so an update: My Nennie is still fine (by the looks of it)

Hasn't moved or anything. I had in my fridge some frozen fish I got from my LFS. They said lots of stuff eats it. On the packet it says Spiering Stint - Smelt Eperlan?!?!?!?!?! I gave a piece to the Nennie. It grabbed it immediately and moved it to the mouth. My cleaner shrimp tried to get the piece too, but the Nennie won at the end. I saw the piece (aprox 1cm x 1cm) being swallowed by the Nennie. Then I left it alone. About two hours later, I saw the same piece stuck on a piece of LR being eaten by other goggas. So not sure whether the Nennie spat it out or what. What should I do? Or should I rather just go and get Lance fish? How often should I feed the Nennie at this stage?

Did you thaw the piece of fish thoroughly?

Yes, well, I first cut the frozen piece (off the body, not the head or tail) and then I left it in a glass with water from the tank for approx 5 minutes. Should I mush it up a bit first?

I'm not saying this is why it was rejected, but it is recommended to defrost food in cold RO water. When fully done, discard the water as the juices from the defrosting can fuel nuisance algae.

Back
Top Bottom