Help me choose a new "soft" SUV

Discussion in 'Sports and Lifestyle' started by Reef Maniac, 14 Apr 2009.

1. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi to all the vehicle "gurus" in MASA land :wave2:

I am currently in the market for a new vehicle, and have decided that I want/need a "softroader" SUV.

Being in the construction (road-building) industry, I do most (~70%) of my driving long-distance, on surfaced (tar) roads, and the rest on either gravel roads or "off-road" on construction haul-roads (between bulldozers and motor graders...) whilst building or upgrading roads. Although a normal 2x4 bakkie is OK for 99% of my travelling, I would prefer the added comfort of a car whilst doing those long distance trips, and the added versatility of a 4x4 for those 1% timews when a normal bakkie will become stuck - thus my "need" for a SUV.

Because of the long distance driving, and the cost of fuel, I must have a vehicle which is light on fuel, and is very comfortable to drive. It must also be very safe, both on- and off-road. My choice has been whittled down to three vehicles:
    • Honda CR-V 2.0 i-CTDI (the 2.4 RVSI is a bit under powered, especially at low revs...).
    • VW Tiguan in either the 2.0 TDI or the new 2.0 TSI (petrol), either in "Track & Field" guise.
    • Subaru Forester 2.5 XS (normally aspirated petrol) (only one of the SUV's with a low range option).
    Each of these models have *some* features which I like, and some real bad features as well:
    • the CR-V is the largest, and has the best quality finish - I also like it's engine, but it has a ground clearance of only 180mm and is the "softest" of the three.
    • the Tiguan has the most features, a very good engine, and good ground clearance, but it is the smallest of the three vehicles, and also the most expensive.
    • The Forester has the highest ground clearance (some 230mm), a low range selector on the gearbox, and is most recommended by some off-road drivers I have spoken to. It is also the most unknown (to me...) and does not have a large dealer network. It also has the highest fuel consumption.
    So, which one to choose - please give me your input, and (preferably) your personal experience. Also, feel free to suggest other makes with similar features, if you feel strongly about any.

Thanks,

Hennie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. DragonReef

DragonReef

Mmmm, of the 3 I like the Subaru the most. I've yet to hear a bad thing about a Sabaru. Then again Honda rates at no.1 on the JD consumer Index.

To throw something else into the equation here.. For pretty much the same money as the Forester you can get a Hyundai Sante Fe 2.2l inter cooled turbo diesel with enough space to load the whole family. It's a Soft roader with decent ground clearance but no low range. Also has an excellent warranty - 150 000kms.

I never thought I would buy Korean, and having come off a Land Cruiser never thought I would go away from Toyota. But I did, and 2 years - 47000 KM's later in a Sante Fe and I have never been happier. It's comfortable, decent fuel consumption - 10L per hundred - 9.5 if you drive at the speed limit and solid as any VW or Toyota I've owned. Oh and they offer the diesel in automatic :thumbup:

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

I agree hyundai sante fe and tucson are great. I had a tucson and loved it. I only sold it coz I moved overseas. The service and parts are reasonable too. Another suggestion is the toyota hilux raider d cab. I am looking at getting one of these as I hired one for a trip to mozambique and was impressed all round. It was the 4l petrol
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Out of those three. Got to be the Subaru.
    Did you check out the Dodge Nitro Hennie? There's a R100 000 off on the vehicle at the moment. R249 000.00 and you have a choice of either a sunroof or leather seats. That is for the 2.8 TD. I have been looking at getting one of those aswell. The also look kind of sporty.

6. lIghty

lIghty

3 Letters for you W...R...X ;)

Jokes aside, personally I am a VW fan by heart, they do make really good quality vehicles, but what about the new Fortuna? or even Hilux D/Cab?, take one for a drive, you'll never say you were driving a bakkie, drives just like a car!

just some other things to ponder on is Trade values - going to want to sell it one day, don't thing the Subs have a good trade at all? Service interval costs, some make really kill you there....

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Any chance of the Subaru with a diesel? otherwise it loses it's appeal filling up constantly.

The hilux is hard to beat and being toyota, you get all the comfort bits too.

8. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

Toyota Fortuna. I would not personally consider anything else.

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Either Subaru or Hyundai Sante Fe.
    Another Alternative - as Quinton says - the Toyota Fortuner - for the price - I would DEFINITELY rather go for this one.
    Alternatively - the new Jeep Cherokee is awesome as well ;)

In the price range: R250 000 to R350 000 there's a HUGE amount of cars to choose from.

10. FransSny

FransSny

subaru...BAD trade value, but awesome car, also a bit of hassles still regarding parts especially if you have an accident !:p

I would agree with Jacques..sante fe is good value
    I drive a ford ranger but would have rather chosen the mazda in hindsight, lots of sfatey features, very comforable and all the bells, like the hilux it doesnt feel like a bakkie.

i know the caravaning magazines have good reviews and comparisons

11. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

you guys are all wrong - a BMW X6 is exactly what Hennie needs - car comfort with off road.... till the engine falls out after 500m of gravel road :D

12. FransSny

FransSny

or a freelander...engine falls out at the dealer making it easier for repairs :lol::lol::lol:

13. dallasg

Hummer :)
    haha

14. FransSny

FransSny

Hummer ...just add BLING

15. lIghty

lIghty

X6, if its anything like the X5 its a laugh, went up Sani Pass in my 2X4 hilux, the oke behind me saw me go through the 1st bad section, he turned around and went back down, we were only 50m past the border gate, no word of a lie, these yappies :lol:

16. dallasg

my boets raider is awesome, he tows all the bmw, landies, and others that get stuck in moz, then it could also be the drivers :)

17. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

You one mad driver, thats why the tank cracked :p

18. lIghty

lIghty

only most times:p

19. lIghty

lIghty

Hilux's are good, well I think so anyway. But a good driver definately makes a difference;)

20. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hey guys - don't slate Freelanders! I towed a FEW guys out at Ponto with my 2 litre TD FreeLander.......

21. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

In light of this thread....

[​IMG]

Recent Posts