Help me catch my lobster!!!!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Mtroboer, 6 Aug 2008.

1. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi guys I came to realize with a shock that my beloved Debelius Reef Lobster suddenly developed a taste for fish! My Yellow watchmen goby as well as my newly acquired Fire Goby is missing. Please help me catch it as I do not want to completely disturb my tank just to catch it!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

YUMMY sushi for dinner:)

ask if weeman has any ideas, he comes up with some good plans, do u know where in the reef he lives, under which rock?

4. Furbz

Furbz

how big is he? i used a beer glass to catch a hairy crab once.. put a piece of fish in the bottom and place it leaning against some rocks near him. he should come out at night, climb in and not be able to get out cos the surface is to slipperly.
    just an idea.. not sure if it will work with a lobster tho.. maybe a vase! ;)

5. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Yes he lives under the rock in the middle of my tank or as far as I know of... He's a quick fella, I tried catching him by lifting the rock but he just darts into other rocks! Thanks Furbz will try the fishtrap idea, but he is quite a good swimmer so I'm not sure if that will work.:(

6. marine101

marine101

Well, as Cape Town people would know, make a crayfish trap, and braai dae kreef!:1:

7. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Hehe, will need a toothpick to get the meat out of this one!:lol:

8. Hill

Hill

I always thought he lived in the UK... :lol:

9. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

10. Gemma

Gemma

I don't know what your lobster looks like but are they similar to crayfish in the way they swim. i.e. backwards? If so I have one (crayfish) in my tank and caught him by withholding food and then using a sieve like basket to catch him, with food. My fella is bold at feeding time so comes out of hiding. I put sinking food in basket, into which he went and bobs' your uncle. Pulled up basket to surface with strings and because he swims backwards he couldn't get out. Your problem is that he is eating your fish. Is taking your fish out an option, and in so doing with holding food and then start enticing him into a trap?
    Good luck

11. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Have only seen mine swimming forward, don't know about backwards, but will try and set a trap funneling towards the top- hopefully that will do the job! Otherwise I will have to strip the tank of all corals, liferock etc and catch it then.

12. Rock pool

Rock pool

I have three crabs in my tank that pop out every now and then. Gonna try the glass method. What is the best bait to use?

13. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Hi Rockpool, I guess a piece of raw fish or shrimp would do the trick. Good Luck!

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Ag shame man, he's probably hungry - you must feed him :whistling: :whistling: :lol:

Recent Posts