Help led lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Phil sfb, 10 Aug 2010.

1. Phil sfb

Phil sfb

Hi guys We have been in the game for many years and are currently usng 400 w MH. Has anybody found a cheap led system that works with reef tanks. We are not intending to keep the more difficult corals. We have been offered a unit locally in PE for R3K and are tempted to go that way, cant give details, but unit is 450 by 600mm. has anyone used such a system successfully. Thanks Dave

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

LED's are still a far way from being able to work alone on our tanks, but what i can tell you is that we are getting there very quickly.

I think you need to tell us more details on your tank, like how deep it is and the size, filtration and what corals you have so we can look into LED. I would suggest you post some pics also so we can see what we are up against.

Also if you can give more details on the led unit you can get that will help alot, like what leds are used on it and optics etc...

4. lIghty

lIghty

Welcome Phil

I think the joury is still out on this one (the use of LED over T5/Mh).

We would need to know alot more info on the product before we could make an "estimated guess"

Things to concider:

PAR
    Kelvin rating
    Power consumption
    W/m2 output.

5. Phil sfb

Phil sfb Thread Starter

Thanks will do some homework and will get back to you-

6. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!;) some pics of your setup would be nice:)

7. frans

frans

Hi Guys I just ordered and recieved from General lamp 6 * 9w Cree 8000k downlighters.
    The total including DHL was app R700 so that is R115 each.
    I orderd 2 15deg , 2 60 deg , 2 90 deg and they specially sourced the highest K 3Watt Crees so each lamp is 9W. They do a big 110mm unt with a lot more Crees but it was too big for me.
    I have tested them and it looks good, so this weekend they will be fitted into the tank, just wish I had some Quantative means of testing the ammount of light difference.
    With a guarantee of 70% output after 50,000 hrs it wirks out hopefully cheaper than T5 tubes

8. zak

zak

Interested in outcome

Welcome to MASA..

Please post some pics of your installation, im also keen on a similar setup, let us know how it goes..

Pics pics pics!!

9. frans

frans

Ok I will do my best this weekend, I think the 90 deg ones are ok for general use but the 60 and 15 deg are awesome, also maybe next time I will ask for 2 white and 1 blue in each bulb.
    I have made the lid holes too small so need to take my lid off and redrill and seal, then I will take pics.
    I just hope it was worth the cost or my wife will kill me!

Norman_the_fish likes this.
  10. frans

frans

Ok so I am deep in the Poo!!
    Picture of the Led downlighter.. thats if it works
    [​IMG]
    60 deg led
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  11. frans

frans

Ok Ill try again
    This is the 15 deg LED
    [​IMG]

12. Manic

Manic Moderator

Who melted your keyboard?

13. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

@ Phil
    The chinese and american reefers are well ahead of us when it comes to LED. The problem is that they are costly to bring over and there is no service backup for the parts. I have read so many threads on reefcentral etc about reefers using LED, the growth and coloration of their corals in my opinion has silenced the critics...and yes it is still new on the market with very little field testing to date. Its up to adventurous reefers to test them.

I am very much for the use of LED, i am in the process of upgrading to LED in the very near future. But will only purchase reputable LED system from a reputable manufacturer.

Why is your LED unit so hush hush :)

14. frans

frans

The Leds are from General Lamp as I said and the colour's are fantastic, I am definatly getting more.
    I tested all of the 9 Watt downlighters and they all seem to use 4W of power but I could be wrong as I only tested with an ordinary meter and because they are (Switched mode power supplieds) you dont get a true RMS reading so can be way out.
    :) My Keyboard is covered with a Silicone skin as it is in my workshop asd it would get full of dirt ect.
    It isnt worth building the units cost wise as I costed them locally, Cree XR-E 3w led R32 driver suppy R105 Lenz R32 heatsink < R5 cm sq! I know you can drive more than 1 led with the power supply.
    so un less you want to build a speciall unit it doesnt pay.
    If one of my units packs up it is only 1 of the group of 5, better than the whole batch.

Recent Posts