Help . . . is this sun coral dying?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ZaxXx, 8 Nov 2010.

1. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Got such a lovely piece of sun coral growing from this rock but it was abit muddy when i got it home so i brushed it with tap water and a tooth brush to try cleaning it:whistling:.

Did i kill it? :banghead:
    And is this sun coral a write off now?? how do i bring it back to how it should be?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

what made you decide to use tap water? I think you may have killed it. Freshwater rinse would most likely send it into osmotic shock.

In future, rather rinse in tank water. You can use a sot brush on hardy corals (like GSP).

4. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

FLIP! i dont know wat i was thinking... was in a hurry to get it into the tank. . . anyways thanks mate. Atleast i know now

5. 459b

How long was it under freshwater?
    I also wouldnt use a brush on LPS. They have very delicate tissue over a sharp skeleton.
    Next time, rather blow off detritus using a gentle powerhead or turkey baster.

Can you post a pic of it?

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

EINA!!! No, as 459b said, never ever use a brush on LPS and never use tap water on any coral IMO. What I have done before is use RO on certain soft coral but that would be more of a dip rather than a full scrub behind the ears...

As 459b said, please post a pick...

Is the white skeleton showing, and if so, is more of it showing every day? If so, it is a few days before going flatline... _____^_____^_____^__________________________

Also, what do you mean by a bit muddy? Was the rock muddy?

PS: We all do stupid things, dont beat yourself up about it - you now will never make the same mistake...

Last edited: 8 Nov 2010
  7. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

One day you will think back on this and laugh ...

8. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Its actualy just gone black like its burnt. burnt out sun lol

lol i'm alredy laughing at my stupidity. and i bushed it really hard also, as tho i was brushing teeth.:whistling:

looks abit yellow at the bases still wonder if thats hope for regrowth or just slow death

What i mean was it had abit of dirt on it dat rubbed out from the other rocks around it. Cos it looked brighter when i found it... what i shoud,ve done was just leave it to sort its self out. Dumbass me

9. 459b

where did you find it?

Sorry to say, but that coral looks beyond saving. Probably best t otake it out to prevent it causing havoc in your tank.

10. Jaco Schoeman

Yup, agreed with 459b... that is a goner... That also looks like a small polyp sun coral - which in itself is not the easiest of suncorals to keep in the first place. They are quite rare... So yes, where did you get it?

11. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

This is what i wanted it to look like... This piece of coral has been tru a lot with me lol[​IMG]

Anyways. . . While im at it , this is what the tank looks like now. Im not too happy with the rock arrangement so il reset it when i have sometime
    [​IMG]

Mind the buddy bottle im trying to catch stupid pistol shrimps. . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Nov 2010
  12. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

Friend of mine gave it to me in the weekend. . .
    :( alright guys, thanks for helping tho... appreciate it alot

13. Jaco Schoeman

Even the piece above does not look very happy... Is that the piece before you brushed its' teeth? Lol...

14. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

lol no that piece has been thru my learning year on the last tank... it managed to survive somehow. It opends up in the afternoons and at night most of the time... I need to get some food for that guy. not sure what tho.

15. Jaco Schoeman

Suncorals take any good meaty foods... I would suggest a mixture of mysis, brine, cyclop-eeze, and lobster eggs, mixed in with some phyto plankton.

Because Suncorals aren't filter feeders but rather predatory hunters, it does not help just giving them micro organisms like zoo and phyto or reef snow...

That is where most people misunderstand the whole topic; they read that suncorals are found on areas of high volumes of phyto plankton... Now obviously they do ingest some phyto, but where there is alot of phyto, there is also alot ot shrimp etc. And it is this that gets hunted by NPS coral. Yes, there are filter feeding NPS too, but sun coral needs larger paricle foods. ;)

16. magman

magman

imo leave, doubt it will affect the tank, if it turns white, then it's dead, it might be lakka one day with coraline on, would be worried of life in the lr that died if it is a big piece of lr

17. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

Thanks bud... Is this stuff expensive tho?

18. Jaco Schoeman

Not really, not for one colony of suncorals... Feed a NPS tank every day then you have a different story altogether... I suggest just get some mysis first, and feed that. Then get some frozen brine, and mix with the mysis... Then you accumilate your foods, and mix as you go along. ;)

Just remember the KEY ingredient is feeding, NOT once a week, NOT once a month, at least three times a week. Go with Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday... NPS coral does not utilize light at all like other corals do, they require you to feed them to stay alive. :p

19. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

SHEEEEOW!!! only GOD knows how this guy is still surviving:whistling:

. . . meaning il have to hand feed him lil chunks of this stuff?

20. Jaco Schoeman

Basically yes... Best way is to take a syringe with air piping and squirt over it. Not really a must to do this daily but as often as possible is better...

SunCoral (most species anyway) has a "storage" room where they store food, so the entire colony can feed from it. So even if one polyps does not get fed, the whole colony eats so it would have access to the food. If no food is present, they can live from this reservoir for a few weeks. Obviously they would get some food in the form of pods, fish poo etc. but that is not enough to sustain them. After some time they will will just get weaker and weaker, and die eventually...

Go have a look at my thread on NPS coral... Most info you'd need is on there...

My Non Photosynthetic System (NPS) - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

21. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

AWSOME!!! Thanks Jaco i feel smarter after today:)

Recent Posts