Help identifying a fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by MichaelMD, 7 Aug 2010.

1. MichaelMD

MichaelMD

Hello Guy's,

I have put a picture of a new fish I have been given by my cousin. He caught it on one of his recent dives in Durban. I have put a picture of him in my photo gallery. He is a little guy (about an inch and a bit), he is grey with a yellow tail and has bright blue spots all over.

I suspect that he is a type of wrasse, although I am probably way off.

Any one out there know what he is so I can make sure I have his diet right? He seems quite happy with blood worms, shrimp and flakes.

Thanks in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

[​IMG]

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Looks like a juvenile grouper/rockcod. That mouth looks like is hunts.

5. durleo

durleo

I was thinking the same thing - guess you gotto wait and see but watch him as he grows or he might eat some precious tropicals - I havve heard of guys keeping Rock Cods in special tanks and they will grow big and eat everything.

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

Ya its a grouper. Dont know the name, but i've seen them before. This bugger is going to get active and start chomping down on other fish. What other fish do you have in the tank? These guys need predator tanks for the reasons already mentioned by others. If you are not going to keep it you are going to need to find someone with such a setup and GIVE it to them. Cause now that its been in your system it cannot go back into the ocean...

7. MichaelMD

MichaelMD Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I will keep an eye on him, I have 2 mates with predator tanks, I am sure they will be happy to take him. For now he seems fine with the other fish (Threadfin Butterfly, margarita puffers, Picture Wrasse, Coral Banded shrimp, Bumble Bee Shrimp, Sergeant, Cave Goby)

My setup is still quite new, only been running 3 months. Fish have been in for about a month now.

Recent Posts