Help ID trigger fish

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I dived this guy out today and have him in my qt....would love to know what type of trigger he is and if he's reef safe.

1551030398982134954640.jpg

155103044364043875498.jpg

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
Picasso waistcoat hybrid perhaps? So won’t be reef safe, but if it was me I’d rather ask what corals and inverts will be safe with that fish, quite unique.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
That being said, watch him in qt when he settles, could just be a normal Rhinecanthus rectangulatus in stress colours.

Reaction score
Those were his exact colours when I saw him under water....watched him for a while...he was attacking a hermit, that's when I got him. I have searched and searched and can't find a match

Reaction score
So why do you remove the fish not knowing what fish it is and if it’s reef safe?

Reaction score
If he cant use it, he can always donate to a friend. It is better than the Chinese coming to our waters and catch everything. You should ask them why

Reaction score
If he cant use it, he can always donate to a friend. It is better than the Chinese coming to our waters and catch everything. You should ask them why
Do the Chinese post here ? Are they catching it to keep in their reef tanks ?
Is it ok to do it because of the Chinese ?
Where are you going with this ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Im saying he caught the fish, he can do as he wish. It is better than the chinese stripping our reefs, probably for food. Hope it make sense, i cant do any better

Reaction score
@Murphy @r0ckf1re if its not reef safe, it will go into a fish only tank....I've just started a small mixed reef cube with no inhabitants as ye and was wondering if I could put him in there. Plus I've never had a trigger before and seeing as this was the first one I've seen while diving, I was over excited and took him without thinking....but now that I have him I want to provide him with the best suitable home....hence my question if he's reef safe.

Reaction score
So why do you remove the fish not knowing what fish it is and if it’s reef safe?
Many guys catch something and ask for ID later not knowing what it is, I see it all the time. I believe I know my local fish species quite well and this was the first time I had seen this particular species. I also have the tanks to keep it if it is or not reef safe. So that was not a concern for me. I apologise if that upsets you.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
@r0ckf1re , have you collected fish before? Much more sustainable to collect your own fish than buying from a pet shop where probably half of all fish collected don’t even make it to the point where it is available to buy in the shops.

That is an awesome looking trigger, most probably a hybrid, so any guy collecting and seeing that will most probably catch it. I know I would, and worry about reef safeness later.

Reaction score
@Murphy @r0ckf1re if its not reef safe, it will go into a fish only tank....I've just started a small mixed reef cube with no inhabitants as ye and was wondering if I could put him in there. Plus I've never had a trigger before and seeing as this was the first one I've seen while diving, I was over excited and took him without thinking....but now that I have him I want to provide him with the best suitable home....hence my question if he's reef safe.
Awesome @warrmich let us know how he doing once settled in. I also got a fowlr, and love triggers.