Help Getting element levels stable

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Fraser W, 14 May 2013.

1. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

hello masonions

i would like some advice as where i should start when it come to dosing supplements to the reef to get ALK CA and MG Ph to a stable level

For instance the tank that i am refuring to has been fairly stocked with corals for maybe 2months with a large frag tank full of mainly zoas mushrooms and a few lps's we just started testing for Alk Ca and Mg and have found that levels Alk 5 CA 380 Mg 1200 Ph 8.2

Alk should be 8-9dhk 420 - 450 mg idont know 1300??? whats the best range

Which element do we start with or 1. should we raise alkalinity first, calcuim then mg, 2. should we start with Ca then and will doing Ca increase the Alkalinity. 3.Should they be dosed all at the same time

The products being used for dosing is aquavitro

Last edited: 14 May 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

hi there. i would bring all three up a bit each day till levels are up. i would start first with dosing magnesium i think it is called ions in aquavitro language a capful at a time. and it is the referee between kh and calcium. then dose a capful of calcium and then a capful ofkh in a really heavy water movement area of tank to prevent precipitation. i would do this three times a day. i would also not do any waterchanges for a week and take a week to get your element levels up. being a softy tank i would aim for a kh of 9 . calcium of approx 400 to 420 ppm and magnesium of 1260ppm .

4. Lobster

Lobster

Hi
    Your PH looks okay but do weekly test and add eight. four (aquavitro) if below 8.2
    The section below is from the Red Sea website .
    In order to prevent the effects of unbalanced levels of the elements the
    supplements should be added in the following order allowing 10 ( I wait 20) minutes between each:
    a. Magnesium
    b. Alkalinity​
    c. Calcium

Please note :
    To prevent stress to the corals the maximum daily increases of each of the elements
    are as follows: Calcium 20ppm; Alkalinity 0.5 meq/l (1.4 dkh); Magnesium 10ppm.

Larger adjustments should be spread over a few days according to the daily maximum.

This is how I do mine and I don't only use Red Sea products and it works for me.
    Some might do it different.

Hope this help.

Last edited: 14 May 2013
  5. Fraser W

Fraser W Thread Starter Swazi Reefer

Thanks mandarinman and lobster for making it a bit more clear as to where to start has made it a whole lot easier as i was gonna start by dosing alk and i probably would not have been able to get the level i wanted

Last edited: 15 May 2013
  6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

one can start with a complete program like redsea mentioned above...
    start with ALK, get that to where YOU want and keep it there.. once ALK is correct everything else will be easier to adjust

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

better to start with magnesium as it helps prevent precipitation

Recent Posts