Help! GBTA disappeared??

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by BrandonH, 11 Jun 2013.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH

Hi,

About three weeks ago I got a GBTA. Initially it looked extremely happy and tripled in size, ate well etc etc. Then a few days ago it started going walkabout, still looked extremely healthy but would not settle. Then this morning I woke up and it is gone. Cannot find a trace of it. How does something the size of a grown man's extended hand disappear? Any ideas?

I have read threads were anemone's got chopped up in pumps but i have Tunze 6055's and they are all protected? Or aren't they?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had a little 80L/h pump suck in a tennis ball size bubble tip. Yeah as in eighty. Smallest bloody pump out there in my shallow growth tank. And somehow it did do it.

Check under the rockwork. hopefully its there.

If it did get eaten by a pump, then check your fish for any sign of breathing difficulties.

4. JS

JS

Nope, Tunze's arent nennie safe..I have had a nennie sucked up and chopped in one before....

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I had a RBTA that lost its battle against a tunze 6105 as well. They look big when inflated but remember that 95% of that is water. Very little flesh.

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sometimes they can shrink so small that they will fit into a tiny hole in the live rock. If it has been chopped up you should still find traces of it in the tank, the skimmer would have gone crazy and the tank may even look a bit milky, check in your overflow, he may even be in the down pipes. Just the other day I pulled one of my small anemones out from the front of my return pump :eek: It's surviving so far, so he has been down the overflow, through the durso, around the sump until it got sucked into my return pump. How it didn't get minced up I don't know. But anyway, keep looking, it's gotta be there somewhere.

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

Your skimmer would be going bananas if your nennie got chopped up. Its probably under a rock in the most inaccessible place possible. I dont suggest ripping your rocks apart to look for it, if its moved, there is something going on with it and you could end up hurting it. So just keep a look out for it.

8. Anemone

Anemone

Keep looking! If it was dead you should be having other issues by now!

9. contini

contini

Have you found it yet BRANDON ? must be playing hide and seek with your cleaner wrass , check your skinny overflow hope you find her ok

10. BrandonH

BrandonH Thread Starter

I have searched everywhere and there is no sign! Nothing in skinny overflow. Even the hosted clowns are lost! (and if she was still around I would have expected them to pinpoint her whereabouts?)
    @scubaninja skimmer seems slightly busier but not majorly so and everything else looks ok; fish are behaving normally corals look fine etc etc

My 5 year old daughter had a nightmare last night about the nennie walking out the tank, up the stairs and attacking her!:)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Most likely just sitting under a rock. I've also had this happen once before with one of my BTA's. After about a week of stressing about him, he re-appeared on the opposite side of the tank as happy as ever...
    Clowns being lost might be a good idea that its hiding far under a rock.
    Can you please upload a picture of your tank?
    How much LR do you have?
    What size is the tank?

12. contini

contini

holding thumbs will surface soon , tell your daughter nennies prefer water to stairs

13. scubaninja

scubaninja

Then you are probably fine. Just wait it out as has been said ;)

14. Anemone

Anemone

Give us a list of your tank mates.

15. BrandonH

BrandonH Thread Starter

@Anemone

Current tank mates:

Fish: 3 goldies, 2 ocelaris, 2 skunk clowns, 2 watchman gobies, flame angel, coral beauty, jumping bean, yellow tang, yellow eyed kole tang, cleaner wrasse, red scooter, mandarin,

Inverts: coral banded shrimp, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, mini maxi anemone, feather dusters

Corals: Zoas, various softies, torch, hammer, acans, birds nest

16. scubaninja

scubaninja

You have 2 pairs of different types of clowns? How big is your tank? Do they fight at all?

17. BrandonH

BrandonH Thread Starter

550L and they don't fight. Both sets live in the same spot in the tank - been together from small.

18. Anemone

Anemone

I am really surprised that these clowns were all getting along. I would be careful, this may change someday.

Were both pairs hosting the same anemone?

The Flame Angel and the Coral Beauty are not always reef friendly. However, if the clowns were hosting the anemone I would have thought they would have protected the anemone.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2013
  19. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Last year april while diving at sodwana bay, i spotted a large magnifica anemone hosting about 6 skunk clowns, & 2 young adult clarkii clowns... I managed to get a pic of that. Will see if i can find it on my harddrive tomorrow.
    Was quite cool to see!

20. BrandonH

BrandonH Thread Starter

Only the skunks were hosting the anemone. The plan was to establish this anemone on one side of the tank and then get a second on the other side for the ocellaris. So far I haven't had any issues with the angels and they seem to be behaving themselves.

21. BrandonH

BrandonH Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No[​IMG]
    @Visser - not the best pics but i hope you get the idea.

Recent Posts